Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Retro on Steroids
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just signed a book deal with Velo Press for an account of my bicycle-related activities between 1970 and 1990. They expect a manuscript to be delivered in late spring. The editor threw the word "definitive" around after the deal was done. I had earlier rejected (through my agent, bless his heart) a deal from a different publisher that I found a little insulting.

I figure I have one chance to tell the story of a pretty good bike adventure, and I hope they let me tell it as completely as I want to. Title is "Fat Tire Flyer." Where have I heard that? I'm not going to dignify the the "who did what" issues. I can tell you what I did and what I saw, in excruciating detail.

I'm not the only participant in all these events, but I can't see any of the others defining that period the way I can. I have the luxury of having documented just about everything I did, through my magazine and my contributions to other publications, and by collecting everything written about us by others. I have every scrap of paper the experience generated, with one major exception. When my business relationship with Gary ended I had to leave behind the original files of the MountainBikes company, which would have been a gold mine but have long been dispersed and lost.

Joe Breeze has his own files and could write a pretty good book about his bike adventures, but he probably won't. His would be an amazing autobiography, because Joe had incredible bike experiences before I met him that I have heard about and the rest of the world hasn't. He's a good writer, but he's not the sort who can sit down and churn out the words the way I can. I use Joe as my fact-checker and consultant in all technical matters, and you can't do any better than that. He is a major collaborator. Tom Ritchey and Gary Fisher have good stories also, but they will probably need editorial help to get them out. Hard to see those two glued to a keyboard for six weeks.

It's up to me to do it right, because I don't see a lot of other first person accounts on the horizon. I'll try to live up to the opportunity.

·
I'm just messing with you
5,966 Posts
Will it be the finished version of the partial history you shared a while back? That was pretty interesting.

·
Premium Member
11,080 Posts
I love Joe. Riding with him is pretty much one of the highlights of my life. I was so giddy to have met him and was stunned by what a nice and humble a man he is. I'm glad he's going to have a hand in this....Bible.

Good luck, CK!

·
Certified Bike Junkie
1,733 Posts
Sounds like this could be a cool book if you can get contributions and input from a bunch of the pioneers.

1 - 20 of 195 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.