Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK lets hear it.

If you think you have a lightweight 29er SS build that costs less than....say....1200 bucks post it up here. I would like to see the lightest budget SS 29er that is actually trailworthy.

Thanks

·
Just hit it with speed
480 Posts
I'm interested in how you got it that light. I got a Medium rig that weighed about 25.5 stock. Now it's probably 25 after a couple of purchases (added a little subtracted a bit more). I see new tires, new stem, new seat, what about the rims. Assuming you paid around 1000 I'd like to know how for 200 dollars you shaved 4 pounds off the bike that I got. Thanks in advance!

Edit: Alright I am an idiot and didn't even notice the rigid fork that probably did quite a bit right there(like 1 to 1.5 pounds?) What else you got going on there?

1,420 Posts
GFisher2001 said:
I'm interested in how you got it that light. I got a Medium rig that weighed about 25.5 stock. Now it's probably 25 after a couple of purchases (added a little subtracted a bit more). I see new tires, new stem, new seat, what about the rims. Assuming you paid around 1000 I'd like to know how for 200 dollars you shaved 4 pounds off the bike that I got. Thanks in advance!

Edit: Alright I am an idiot and didn't even notice the rigid fork that probably did quite a bit right there(like 1 to 1.5 pounds?) What else you got going on there?
$945 for the bike, sell the Reba for $325, buy the Kelly fork $140. Sell the stock wheels for $200, build a set of Hope's laced to Bontrager Mustang rims for $350. Old yeti arc seatpost laying around at the shop $30, WTB Ti saddle $80, FSA bar $55, FSA stem $55. That pretty much sums up the majority and without adding it up I am pretty sure that I am under the $1200 mark.

·
The Top Cap Guy
952 Posts
My Haro Mary was built up for less than $1200 but I built it Tank-ish - its my training bike... Nevegals, Tuvativ cranks-bar-stem-post, Fizik Cow Saddle, Lock Ons, BB7's etc... Came in at 26lbs even.

Got a deal on the frameset - recycled the brakes, headset, rims, saddle, grips, pedals, and tires from previous rides.

Now if we have no price limit my Niner is about 8lbs lighter...lol

FF

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
Here's my SS. It's a bit of a Frankenstein with parts from here and there, but in it's current configuration it comes in around $1000 and weighs less than 22 lbs. as it sits.

Frame, seatpost, saddle from LP: $220
new Fetish carbon fork: $220
White ENO crank & freewheel from ebay: $190
Boone ENO chainring from ebay, new: $90
Shimano UN73 bb: $20
Wheels-rear Paul hub, front Ritchey Pro Skraxle, built to Mavic MA2 rims I had in my bike closet: around $200
WTB Weirwolf LT 2.55's from The Path: $76 shipped
Ti. bars from ebay: $32 shipped
Chris King headset from ebay, used: $76 shipped
I had the brakes, tubes, stem and pedals.

It's a little overbudget, but the titanium poisining got to me.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.