Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help ME, help YOU, help US.

I am looking to become President of the Colorado Mountain Bike Association, and I need your help. If you ride Buffalo Creek, Coal Creek Canyon, or anywhere in between, please read my vision statement (may wanna get yourself a cup of coffee first ;)) and if you agree with my direction, please follow the advice at the end of this post. Let's do something worthwhile-together-for the benefit and betterment of this sport and our trails. Thank you in advance.

Here's the 30 second elevator pitch: my goal is to re-invent COMBA as a proactive, progressive MTB advocacy group, engaging volunteers (and raising funds) to build new trail. "New trail" is good, for many reasons, but it takes an orchestrated movement (just ask BMA).

Voting for the 2009 Board of Directors starts later today, and in recent weeks I have sought to recruit many talented people to help with this mission; I'm asking for your help to get them elected so that we can begin with a fresh start for the New Year.

HOW TO HELP?

1) Join COMBA today. For less than half the cost of even a half-day lift ticket, your support-both now and in coming months-really can make a difference.

2) Contact me after joining to ensure that the voting procedure is sent to you (members only).

3) Vote for the following candidates:

• Michelle Beckman (TVC15)
  • Jason Bertolacci (jasonb)
  • Joe Hanrahan (flowtron)
  • Kyle Henley (Reporterkyle)
  • Adam Williams
  • Nate Wyant (wyantn)

I've had productive conversations with athalliah, moosehead, IndecentExposure, Rontele, rockymtnway, casey, and others excited about getting involved. It is going to take a bunch of us to get this done and I need your help. I'm well aware of the negative feelings shared by some here regarding COMBA; I'm stepping up to help improve the organization (and its reputation), as well as to make sure everyone knows the *good* things we do and have done, going forward.

To clarify: per the current established bylaws, I have already been granted a seat on the '09 BoD (officers to be determined January 1). And I'm pleased to announce that Anthony Sloan (anthonys) has also been appointed, the two of us joining Paul Murphy. So that leaves 6 vacant seats and 8 candidates. Please know, I have nothing against the other 2 candidates, but I do know that the above 6 candidates share my vision and are looking to help make COMBA relevant in '09 and beyond.

Won't you join us?

·
carpe mañana
7,307 Posts
When does the voting end? (cashflow issue until the end of the month).

_MK

·
Stiff yet compliant
1,895 Posts
Just one suggestion. Have you considered a name change to more accurately reflect the Jefferson county focus of COMBA? Perhaps people would be more likely to give time or money to an organization focused on the trails they ride most.

P.S. I got 90% of the way through your vision statement before I ran out of coffee. Please forgive me if this idea was mentioned in the last 10%.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sell a tire?

MK_ said:
When does the voting end? (cashflow issue until the end of the month).
voting will end december 30.

dig deep, young jedi, the rebellion needs you.
;)

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UncleTrail said:
Put some take charge people into PM positions and watch your projects take off. Best of luck.
thank you. indeed, i think i've found (some of) those people. looking for some momentum... success breeds success.

Moustache rider said:
Have you considered a name change to more accurately reflect the Jefferson county focus of COMBA?
yes. in retrospect, it was a misguided, but well-intentioned name change which i supported. deferring to the expertise of IMBA, on-the-ground-advocacy works best at a local level (not statewide). while we had no illusions of grandeur for the immediate future, we had hoped to someday "grow into" something bigger. that approach will continue to be re-evaluated, i'm sure. in the short-term, however, we're going to focus on more important matters and use the existing "brand".

Moustache rider said:
I got 90% of the way through your vision statement before I ran out of coffee.
indeed, a goal for me in '09 is brevity.
i'll venture to guess you got farther than most. ;)

·
MFin' Princess
5,488 Posts
gotdirt said:
Won't you join us?
I'd love to ... but as a current member who has yet to receive her ballot instructions, I can't yet. Is there an email (or better yet, phone number) available so we can contact the responsible party to get this ball rolling? For some reason, COMBA's website does not provide any Contact information, which is highly unusual. Perhaps that can and should be updated? Uh, quickly?!

Many sincere thanks Terry, and good luck. :cool:

·
Registered
944 Posts
I am happy to report that any issues with the voting have been resolved. Vote early and encourage your friends and riding partners to do the same.

Here is my plug, I have worked closely with Terry and Jason in the last year. In the process, I have gotten to know them both on a professional and personal level. It is of my strongest conviction that you will not find two more passionate mountain bikers in the Front Range. I think Terry's "Vision Statement" clearly shows this. In turn, Terry and Jason have recruited a group of like minded individuals (including friends of mine--Joe Hanrahan and Adam Williams) to jump start and reinvigorate CoMBA.

I think this group can really do wonders for mountain bikers in the greater metro Denver area. Please support them with your membership and vote.

Regards,

David Rontal
General Counsel, Colorado Mountain Bike Association

·
Registered
2 Posts
Moustache rider said:
Just one suggestion. Have you considered a name change to more accurately reflect the Jefferson county focus of COMBA?

I agree 100%. If your alliance only serves Jeff Co, why is it called "Colorado" Mountain Bike Assocation? I think this incorrectly implies where the donated funds and advocacy from this group will be focused. If, as president, you will be implementing a new vision for everything else, why not change the club name as well?

Also, you speak heaps about building new trails as ways to decrease conflict. While we all love new trails, I still think you should focus on public education. I believe working with (or perhaps joining) the Front Range Mountain Bike Patrol to expand the patrol areas would be valuable.

·
Registered
944 Posts
j0yr1de said:
Moustache rider said:
Just one suggestion. Have you considered a name change to more accurately reflect the Jefferson county focus of COMBA?

I agree 100%. If your alliance only serves Jeff Co, why is it called "Colorado" Mountain Bike Assocation? I think this incorrectly implies where the donated funds and advocacy from this group will be focused. If, as president, you will be implementing a new vision for everything else, why not change the club name as well?

Also, you speak heaps about building new trails as ways to decrease conflict. While we all love new trails, I still think you should focus on public education. I believe working with (or perhaps joining) the Front Range Mountain Bike Patrol to expand the patrol areas would be valuable.
Let me take a stab at this one. I agree to some extent that the use of Colorado Mountain Bike Association may be a misnomer. However, the name has been in place for sometime now and changing it may result in a loss of "brand" and "name recognition." There are numerous parties who we currently and have worked with that know us as the Colorado Mountain Bike Association. Changing the name now would devalue much fo the branding we have worked to achieve.

Your point is valid and believe me has been the source of thorough discussion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm actually quite psyched by the fact that you want to take this association in a new direction. I'd love to see new trails and a louder voice for mountain biking in Jeff Co.

Putting the club name aside, I'm still interested in hearing more about what you think about the user conflicts on the Jeff Co trails. I've heard stories from people all over the state about how bad the conficts are in this county. Since the bike patrol is in a limited area, don't you think helping to expand their efforts would be beneficial in addition to new trails?

Basically, I'm fishing for information here because I'd like to join and vote, but I want to make sure the vision of the president includes more than getting lots of new members and cutting trail. I'd like to see that there is foresight into thoughtful trail additions and maintainence, reduction in conflicts through education, advocacy for the environment and association with IMBA (or infomation exchange with BMA which has successfully increased bike patrol areas and built new trails).

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
welcome to the forum, j0yr1de.
j0yr1de said:
Since the bike patrol is in a limited area, don't you think helping to expand their efforts would be beneficial in addition to new trails?
. . .
I'd like to see that there is foresight into thoughtful trail additions and maintainence, reduction in conflicts through education, advocacy for the environment and association with IMBA (or infomation exchange with BMA which has successfully increased bike patrol areas and built new trails).
good points, all.

the idea of a bike patrol has come up before, including this summer after the yielding/ticketing issue surfaced. generally it is voted down for two reasons: 1) it takes manpower, and we've traditionally had a hard time getting people to volunteer to do anything. 2) there is a perception that patrol=policing, and nobody wants to police their own and be the bad guy. that, of course, doesn't have to be the case, as BMA and FRMBP have very successful patrol programs. 3) JCOS has their own bike patrol (though i've never seen them on the trail).

yes, education is key, and was driven home for me only a few weeks ago, when a friend who isn't from here, but has lived here a while, admitted that she didn't know the rules of the trail and what was expected of her when she first moved here. it's easy to assume that the guy/gal who rides around you, off-trail, while you're climbing is just being a jerk, but frankly, as my friend reminded me, it could very well be that they aren't aware. that is one reason why i'm looking to really engage the LBSs, because that is a perfect opportunity, in my opinion, for a "teachable moment" in a non-confrontational manner. a salesperson could easily work in a line or two about yielding after they've closed a sale, and it would be heard more openly, i suspect, than having someone stop you on the trail after you've committed an infraction.

2009 will see our partnership w/ IMBA stronger than ever before, for a few reasons. one, in the past IMBA was more of the mindset that they were the international organizing body, and kept a fairly "hands-off" approach to particular clubs. in recent years that attitude has changed, and in fact in the early part of '09 they will be rolling out an "affiliate program" (more on that later). ;) secondly, i've personally established a solid rapport w/ the folks up in boulder (IMBA HQ), but more importantly, mr. bertolacci has even more direct ties w/ that office. :)

hope that helps.
:cool:

·
Registered
313 Posts
I voted today- I am stoked-- I was planning on getting involved this year and now more then ever am motivated and excited about the future.

This is good stuff-- also -- after reading Terry's blog my last Green Mountian bike park post seems silly-- I guess we were all thinking alike though ;)

STOKED:D

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rontele said:
I am happy to report that any issues with the voting have been resolved.
er, that may not be entirely true just yet :)()... if you have not been able to vote yet, please feel free to contact me.

(thanks for your support, david) :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.