Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a bit of climbing up the golf course singletrack, but got a bit muddy so turned around at rock garden and did a bit of road climbing on the mtb.

Attachments

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
yeah, stay off

mtnbkrdr98 said:
Got a bit of climbing up the golf course singletrack, but got a bit muddy so turned around at rock garden and did a bit of road climbing on the mtb.
I wasn't going to post on this board anymore, but this post should serve as fair warning to all that TABLEROCK IS NOT RIDEABLE IN THE WINTER UNLESS IT'S FROZEN SO STAY THE HELL OFF!!!! :mad: I've lived right next to Tablerock for a few years and I know what kind of mucky, deep, greasy gumbo the Tablerock trails can turn into when they get even a little bit of moisture. The soil on and around Tablerock and Castlerock is NOT the loose sandy stuff like you find on Hulls/Freeway/etc. Instead, it has a much higher clay content and gets and STAYS wet when the temps are above freezing in the winter. Idiot bikers and hikers just about destroyed the main trail last year by using it when it was clearly way too muddy. That said, if the temps are below freezing, such as in the early mornings, Tablerock can be fantastic in the winter - the mud freezes solid and the traction is awesome. (Tablerock is also usually one of the last trail systems to dry out in the spring.) Props to Daryl for recognizing that he should not have been on the trails due to the mud content.

So, in sum, if you have to get out and ride in the winter when it gets above freezing, stick to the sandier soil stuff, ala Hulls, or Rocky Canyon road.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Geoff will do!

Earthpig said:
I wasn't going to post on this board anymore, but this post should serve as fair warning to all that TABLEROCK IS NOT RIDEABLE IN THE WINTER UNLESS IT'S FROZEN SO STAY THE HELL OFF!!!! :mad: I've lived right next to Tablerock for a few years and I know what kind of mucky, deep, greasy gumbo the Tablerock trails can turn into when they get even a little bit of moisture. The soil on and around Tablerock and Castlerock is NOT the loose sandy stuff like you find on Hulls/Freeway/etc. Instead, it has a much higher clay content and gets and STAYS wet when the temps are above freezing in the winter. Idiot bikers and hikers just about destroyed the main trail last year by using it when it was clearly way too muddy. That said, if the temps are below freezing, such as in the early mornings, Tablerock can be fantastic in the winter - the mud freezes solid and the traction is awesome. (Tablerock is also usually one of the last trail systems to dry out in the spring.) Props to Daryl for recognizing that he should not have been on the trails due to the mud content.

So, in sum, if you have to get out and ride in the winter when it gets above freezing, stick to the sandier soil stuff, ala Hulls, or Rocky Canyon road.
Or NOT do as the case may be. :)
Dave does a Tues night ride so am assuming we will ONLY do it when frozen,
or we can go to Hulls or other.
I stillhave to get my light back and report back on the board if the fix was a good one from B+

thanks again

·
Rocks Rock
943 Posts
I have not been on TR for a couple weeks. I am in Manassas, VA for a couple weeks now and will be going to TX for a couple weeks after that so Tues. night rides will likely resume after the first of the year. Looking forward to some time in the Owyhees between Christmas and New Years.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For sure

impdude said:
I have not been on TR for a couple weeks. I am in Manassas, VA for a couple weeks now and will be going to TX for a couple weeks after that so Tues. night rides will likely resume after the first of the year. Looking forward to some time in the Owyhees between Christmas and New Years.
Give me a shout when you get back into town, let's ride the Owyhees
and Tues nighter when conditions are agreeable

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.