Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...the Knolly forum. I thought that I would describe some recent events.

Endo SL
I am anxiously waiting for my new Endo SL. I completed by build purchase. Can't wait ....tick-tock...

Chainlube - yikes...
I learned today that my chainlube was eating the plastic on my chainguide. My guide broke apart for the second time, I thought it was my abuse, but it was the chainlube. I need to switch lube! Everyone should check this out - not sure if this affects all plastic products.

Fox Float...
My Fox Float developed a creak in the steertube. They got the fork back to me in 1 week with a new upper assembly. I am looking forward to using it this weekend.

Avalanche...Marz 2010
I bought an Avalanche cartridge for my 2010 Marz 66 RC3 Ti and I needed more spring preload, as the cartridge replaced the air preload. It turns out that the spring in the 2010 Marz fork is actually fairly light so without air preload/their damping...it sags way too much. The spring has a 5.4k rating and I needed 6.5k rating. Kind of interesting! I bought a heavier spring from Marz (steel - a lot cheaper) so I should have this up and running soon. Those considering mods - keep this in mine!

2011 Marz RC3 66 Ti EVO
I borrowed Dom's 2011 fork because my problems outline above. The 2011 is a much better fork than the 2010. The EVO provides a bit more mid-stroke support. I used my 2010 a few weeks ago in SoCal and now using the 2011, I found the 2011 much better and preferred. If I hadn't gone down the Avalanche path, I would have inquired about getting the EVO cartridge. Thanks again Dom and sorry about the scratch:shocked:

Shuttling...Ladder Drop
The weather has been amazing in Cali until recently. We have been doing a lot of shuttling - so much fun! We are back to pedaling this weekend with the rain. Anyway, Dom and I fixed a couple of the ladder drops - mostly Dom! I finally hit it last weekend. The ladder drop had a good size gap to a hillside step down. Dom built me a neighboring practice ladder without a gap that was fairly jacked up, but it allowed me to build my confidence up. The first run at the ladder gap - I flew down the mountain because I hit it so fast - I didn't want to come up short:)! Dom laughed because I hit it so fast and flew very far. I landed no problem but it was a good distance down the mountain. In the air, I was thinking this is a long drop:)! The second try at it was the same way. The third time we went back up the mountain to the top and hit the jump series. I was so focused on the ladder drop I crashed on the stupid little turn before it - I don't think anyone has ever crashed on that turn:D! I had one thought on my brain.

That's all for now....only one purchase item is tempting me at the moment but I am still doing my homework, will report back later on this one as the verdict is still out.

Cheers,
Jamie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,267 Posts
I just figured out that chainlube/guide roller thing too. I've been using the same type of lube for the last ten years, I don't like the idea of changing. I guess my choices are Finish line wax or ceramic, Pedros synlube, white lightning. Anybody have any preferences for Socal type dry dirt?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,370 Posts
Dom builds?

I thought that was against his religion? So is that tempting purchase something to do with a "4" and an "0"? I've been using white lightning for the last two years with good results, seems to last alot longer then other lubes. My Knolly is currently in a large tote, in pieces, the frame is proving hard to get rid of, news from my tax guy will dictate how low I can let it go, should know that in a week or two if I will be riding it another season or a shiny new blue Delirium.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not so much building, but taking advantage of existing structures and available wood. By no means is it a work of art;), but it sure is fun!!!

The Lube thing - very surprising! I used Pedros foam wax in the past, but couldn't find it anymore so I switched about two years ago to (I guess) a very toxic substance!

My simple philosophy on selling parts, if it is not selling, then drop the price. I hate selling stuff and dealing with the million emails so I usually start off lower to be done with it. Good luck with the sale.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,370 Posts
I've got a couple of interested people that are waiting on tax returns, meanwhile it is on Ebay. I can hold out a few more months as the painted Deliriums are not coming until April. Meanwhile the EG is all ready to go, going to try and come down March 5 and do some riding with you guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,678 Posts
Interesting to hear about the chain lube!?

I've been using the same for years and have had no ill affects. I know you use different, but I'll be looking at is from now on.

So, I sold my "true" DH bike and have opted to turn the Delirium into the bike that suits the riding I'm about to attempt.

AM - Light FR:

AM I9's with Fat Alberts'
Avavlanche Woodie Rear Shock
Fox Float 180
Rock Shox Reverb
Point1 Podium Pedals

FR - DH:

FR I9's with Big Betty's or Muddy Mary's
Fox RC4
Fox 40 - Kashima
Thompson Seatpost with Chromag QR Seat Clamp
Canfield Crampon Pedals

The DH bike will remain nameless, but it was way too much of a DH Race bike that yearned for the gnarly chop and I just don't ride enough of that stuff to warrant having such a machine. I have grown to understand the way the Delirium can be pushed and changed to adapt to the riding. I beleive that this bike can handle it all with minor penalties either way. A little weight penalty for AM riding and a little harshness, suspension wise, for the DH. I have used the 40 on the front with the angleset and have felt really, really comfortable in the cockpit. I'm looking forward to the lighter wheelset to grind up the mountain and still fly down. The reason I went with the 40 over other DH forks is my comfort level with jumpoing the 40. I love the air and the 40 gives me the ability to make a mistake or two without killing myself.

Jamie (Dude!) has really progressd aerially over the last year. He has figured out his limits and taken himself past them with the Delirium. He has the air bug and he needs his fix whenever we go riding. He has helped my technical riding and I hope that I have helped his jumping. Unfortunately for me, he has progressed much more in the air than I have in the gnar. :D

Just wanted to let a those of you, that didn't already know it, that the Delirium is really an amazing bike that can be transformed into any kind of bike you want it to be. It doesn't need to be changed with a new fork or shock either....it just adds a little more comfort when you do. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,539 Posts
we have been using white lightning wax for the last 4 years and its been great, also when conditions get bad we use finish line wet lube,,,,, everytime we been to whistler we use pedros ice wax or syn lube all have been great, the pedros stuff cleans your chain as well as lubricating it,,,,,,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Synergy!!!!!!!

Dominator13 said:
Jamie (Dude!) has really progressd aerially over the last year. He has figured out his limits and taken himself past them with the Delirium. He has the air bug and he needs his fix whenever we go riding. He has helped my technical riding and I hope that I have helped his jumping. Unfortunately for me, he has progressed much more in the air than I have in the gnar. :D

Just wanted to let a those of you, that didn't already know it, that the Delirium is really an amazing bike that can be transformed into any kind of bike you want it to be. It doesn't need to be changed with a new fork or shock either....it just adds a little more comfort when you do. ;)
The Delirium and Dom have been instrumental in my air arena. It is a bit comical that Dom will hit a 40 foot gap with ease and then brake check on trail with steeps or rocks. Dom has gotten a lot better in the technical - we are both pushing each other to ride the trail better and faster. He can even big log hop now with flats!

I forgot to mention that after I hit the Ladder gap drop and I was walking up the hill with Dom I said - "I love the bike"!!!!!!!! It is true - I love my Delirium!
 

·
biking is fun
Joined
·
2,365 Posts
Dude! said:
The Delirium and Dom have been instrumental in my air arena. It is a bit comical that Dom will hit a 40 foot gap with ease and then brake check on trail with steeps or rocks. Dom has gotten a lot better in the technical - we are both pushing each other to ride the trail better and faster. He can even big log hop now with flats!
You two need to get a room :rolleyes: Ha ha

The delirium is proving to be a fun bike indeed. I sold my AM and FR/DH bike and bought a delirium. Im trying for the one bike this year. It always took me a bit to switch between two very different bikes so now im hoping to just get really comfortable on one.

It has been slow around here. I guess if we are posting our confessions (new expensive parts) then here is my list for my delirium

2010 formula ones (had elixir CR's)
sram x9 1X10 speed set up (had x9 1X9 but wanted 36t in the rear)
Switching to Fat alberts for the front (was previous rear fat albert and front MM, want to lighten it up and get less rolling resistance on the long XC)
Switching to 2.5 Muddy mary front for my DH wheelset

With the AM wheels the bike is weighing in the high 33's right now. Not bad for a coil rear and 180 talas front. After a few more minor upgrades it should be low to mid 33's but im seeing a reverb in the near future so probably back up to 34
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,678 Posts
Yeah...that is a little ghey!

... not that it's a bad thing! From California, got to be PC about these things. :D

You should get the adjusters for "the one's". They are a bit pricey, but the adjustability is awesome to have.

climbingbubba said:
You two need to get a room :rolleyes: Ha ha

The delirium is proving to be a fun bike indeed. I sold my AM and FR/DH bike and bought a delirium. Im trying for the one bike this year. It always took me a bit to switch between two very different bikes so now im hoping to just get really comfortable on one.

It has been slow around here. I guess if we are posting our confessions (new expensive parts) then here is my list for my delirium

2010 formula ones (had elixir CR's)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
climbingbubba said:
sram x9 1X10 speed set up (had x9 1X9 but wanted 36t in the rear)
Switching to Fat alberts for the front (was previous rear fat albert and front MM, want to lighten it up and get less rolling resistance on the long XC)
Switching to 2.5 Muddy mary front for my DH wheelset
For Canada and Northstar, I am looking to get the Big Betty DH for a bit lighter and less rolling resistance tires. I run the Big Betty Freerides now on the Delirium and I like them. I have DH Muddy Marys and they are awesome in the technical and rocky sections - but they feel pigs when I put them on. I want something a bit less for this year - hence the DH Big Bettys

I have Fat Alberts for the Endo SL.

I am also installing a 1x10 for the Delirium (11-36 and 34 front tooth). I move my 1x9 to the Endo SL.
 

·
biking is fun
Joined
·
2,365 Posts
Dude! said:
For Canada and Northstar, I am looking to get the Big Betty DH for a bit lighter and less rolling resistance tires. I run the Big Betty Freerides now on the Delirium and I like them. I have DH Muddy Marys and they are awesome in the technical and rocky sections - but they feel pigs when I put the on. I want something a bit less for this year - hence the DH Big Bettys

I have Fat Alberts for the Endo SL.

I am also installing a 1x10 for the Delirium (11-36 and 34 front tooth). I move my 1x9 to the Endo SL.
Im going to test the fat alberts out and see if i like them in the front. I had them on my 29lb AM bike and they were fine but i push the delirium a lot harder. I don't mind them on the rear but it was nice to have the 2.35 FR MM up front for cornering.

I haven't tried the DH BB's yet. my wife has a FR BB on the front of her big bike and she seems to like them.

My 1x10 set up is waiting for the SRAM 1070 11-36 cassettes to come out. BTI says march 15th. I hope they are on time. I got wrist surgery recently so I can wait but around the 15th is when i should be able to start riding again. I already sold off my 1X9 stuff so im stuck waiting.

So with all these upgrades you did and recent riding, Where are the Pics???? Thats what we all want to see anyway...
 

·
Commit or eat sh!t
Joined
·
2,392 Posts
Dom and Jamie, great write-up. But needs pictures/vids.

We have to meet up somewhere to ride together again, if not at Whistler.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
After some encouragement from folks on this forum, I too have switched over to the 1x10 setup on my Delirium (from the hammerschmidt). I'm running an X9 setup with a shimano XT 11-36 in the rear - couldn't wait for a reasonably prices SRAM alternative. Thus far, I've not experienced any SRAM/Shimano compatibility issues.

I only managed to get one ride in on it in the new configuration before winter returned to north cal, but based on that outing I am quite happy with the switch. The bike is about 2 lbs lighter (~34.5) with CCDB and 170 lyric coil. I definitely noticed the weight savings and, although on a few steep climbs I was really pushing my limits, the 1x10 setup seems to be plenty capable. I'm thinking in the long run its going to make me a little stronger/faster than I was on my prior setup - where I tended to spin in out in the granny too much. I moved the hammerschmidt over to my AM hardtail (Evil Sovereign) but have yet to test out that set up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Prolink by ProGold Lubricants was the one that ate my plastic.

Cool - about the 1x10!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,288 Posts
My ride stoke most of this year has been me and the fellas learning how to XC ski at night with our bike lights on. While it was fun it was not the same thing. Recently the trails have packed down to a point where we could ride our bikes if we stayed on the pack stuff. The penalty for going offline is sinking your front tire into 2' plus of snow and crashing in dramatic fashion. We had a much better day today, however, driving 2 hours south to be rewarded with packed dirt! We got 4 hours + of smooth flowy XC riding in before our wintered non-riding legs gave out forcing us to call it a day with cold beers and pizza. This ride today really emphasizes the other side of the Delirium. The pedaling side. Sure the bike is overkill, sure an Endo or even Endo SL would be a better choice for these trails but who cares. I was able to push that thing up and down hills w/o any problems. I figure worse case scenario I had to work a little harder and burn more calories than the guys on the lighter bikes. Oh well!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,678 Posts
Exactly!

woodyak said:
My ride stoke most of this year has been me and the fellas learning how to XC ski at night with our bike lights on. While it was fun it was not the same thing. Recently the trails have packed down to a point where we could ride our bikes if we stayed on the pack stuff. The penalty for going offline is sinking your front tire into 2' plus of snow and crashing in dramatic fashion. We had a much better day today, however, driving 2 hours south to be rewarded with packed dirt! We got 4 hours + of smooth flowy XC riding in before our wintered non-riding legs gave out forcing us to call it a day with cold beers and pizza. This ride today really emphasizes the other side of the Delirium. The pedaling side. Sure the bike is overkill, sure an Endo or even Endo SL would be a better choice for these trails but who cares. I was able to push that thing up and down hills w/o any problems. I figure worse case scenario I had to work a little harder and burn more calories than the guys on the lighter bikes. Oh well!
That's what everyone who owns one says and believes. You could go lighter, but why? Well said, as usual, WY! :thumbsup:
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top