Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am almost done with my new HT 29er build. Bike will be used for mostly XC and XC Racing. I weigh about 165. Last part needed is 100 mm stem. Looking for a good light weight choice but nothing crazy. I have narrowed it down to these and I've marked what I see as main negatives to each (based somewhat on reading this forum):

1. Syntace F109 - hard to get in USA
2. Rotor S3X - hard to install
3. 3T ARX LTD - very pricey

I would love to get opinions on any or all of these. Also, please give me any info on stiffness or strength. It's easy to research weight and price but that's about it. Thanks.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
wolf-otm said:
I am almost done with my new HT 29er build. Bike will be used for mostly XC and XC Racing. I weigh about 165. Last part needed is 100 mm stem. Looking for a good light weight choice but nothing crazy. I have narrowed it down to these and I've marked what I see as main negatives to each (based somewhat on reading this forum):

I would love to get opinions on any or all of these. Also, please give me any info on stiffness or strength. It's easy to research weight and price but that's about it. Thanks.
Syntace is golden and it's not hard to get in the US. Click here.

I use the Syntace F99 with 105mm length and it's been perfect for XC racing for my 180-185 lbs. I would imagine the F109 would be very similar for you.

BB

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info Bruce but if you click through the link you provided you will see what I mean... Not one 100mm F109 stems available. In fact, I don't think that I saw an F109 other than 135mm. The only 100mm that I could find in stock online was through a german website. My LBS, who seems to be able to get anything, has not been able to get it either.

·
Registered
10 Posts
wolf-otm said:

3T ARX LTD, no contest. One massive but lightweight block of dead gorgeous UD carbon with titanium bolts. Using it for 9 month now, and can report zero problems. The engineering quality is outstanding. Other than that (i.e. functionality wise), I guess they all do the job.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
FSA OS 99....(not the carbon one)...light and $75 from Universalcycles
Ibis....$45 from Ibis and add some ti hardware from torontocycles
Both will be around or under 100 gr

The Syntace 99 is a great light stem, but the 109 is not that light

·
weight weenie
97 Posts
erichwic said:
The Ritchey WCS stem is very nice too. I've upgraded to ti bolts and it weighs around 110g for a 100mm. I have it on both of my bikes and have yet to have any issues.
This is a very good stem too. I have a wet white one on my cross bike and the weight was only couple of grams more stock than my Syntace F109. And cost about half of the Syntace.

·
Fast bike-slow rider
207 Posts
I picked up a 3T Arx Team stem for my Air9, nice looking, stiff and light. Can be had online for less than $100. For example here At ~120gms for the 110 the 100 should be about the same weight as the syntace. Mine is a 90mm and came in just at 100gms.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
wolf-otm said:
Thanks for the info Bruce but if you click through the link you provided you will see what I mean... Not one 100mm F109 stems available. In fact, I don't think that I saw an F109 other than 135mm. The only 100mm that I could find in stock online was through a german website. My LBS, who seems to be able to get anything, has not been able to get it either.
Ah, must be the off season ramp up where all stock is sold out and the wait is on for new stock.

There is one at 100mm on eBay right now. Here's the link.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
@dam said:
Wow- that Ibis stem is really light and affordable compared to the rest. Is it durable?

What about the Sette Evo. 123 grams for a 120 mm, and only $20!

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/20326-305_SETEV0-3-Parts-72-Stems/Sette-Evo-Stem.htm

(I'm not the OP, but in the same situation. Have a Thomson X4 now and want something lighter, but concerned with fatigue)
Yes, the Ibis stem is very durable.I've got 3 years on mine, mostly riding XC/AM but I do go to bike parks a few times a year - Sun Peaks, Silver Star, Apex - no issues whatsever.
Ibis is specing this stem on their new Mojo HD so you know its tuff.I have a 70mm replaced bolts with Ti = 91 grams. An 80mm with Ti bolts is 93 grams.Great stem for the money.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.