Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
Occasionally Cranky
4,844 Posts
So how much per spoke?

I checked Jensens, doesn't seem like they sell them individually.
Cambria does - DT Comps for $1.29 plus shipping (free ship @ $50). Treefort, too (but like $6+ each IIRC). Pretty sure I've seen other places, but not Jenson w/o help unless you're talking proprietary ones like I9 or something.

edit: spoke too soon. They have a DT Comp Race, but OOS @ $1.39.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
needed a 2 mm headset spacer, to fine -tune stem and top cap height without having to trim a tiny bit off steerer tube.
go into LBS.:
Me: Hi, do you have a 2 mm headset spacer?
Shop guy: yes, here you are (hands me a 5 mm)
Me: no thats 5 mm
Him: oh really? (pulls out and looks at ruler) oh youre right. hmmn..2mm? thats pretty small...
Me: Yes , it is. But I already know what 2 mm is...You're the one who doesnt!
(I didnt actually say taht last bit)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I get it now...As a DIYer this is not about spokes but buying parts.

1. That's why I take the bad part or a picture of it with me.
2. I accept the fact that there are those that buy or get sold the wrong part. A decent seller makes known the refund, if needed policy. Ask of it, if not stated.
3. My technique may be dismissed as old school, but it has worked many times over.

·
Registered
303 Posts
A couple years ago I did a race here in Colorado. The next day a friend of mine and I were riding when my rear hub started making some terrible noises and intermittently going fixed gear. Being intimately familiar with i9 hubs having built and serviced many of my own i9 wheels including this wheel which was 2 months old at the time, I knew something was broken. I went to a highly recommended shop to simply borrow/rent a lockring tool or have my cassette removed so I could pull the driver body and dig out whatever broken bits were in there, thus salvaging my weekend. Their service guy assured me that the hub just needed a $35 service and in so many condescending words said that's all they were willing to do. Ok, some shops aren't keen on loaning/renting tools, whatever. I agreed to the service and later received an apologetic call informing me that they did indeed find a broken drive ring tooth floating around in there. Gave me a reduced service rate and I was on my way. I figure bike shops probably have to deal with a lot of goons that think they're experts. I get it. Hell, I dont get along with most cyclists, but its also why I avoid shops unless I really need em.

·
Pro Crastinator
11,110 Posts
i'm always amazed at the number of people that blindly trust a bike shop employee just because he/she works at a bike shop. you wouldn't just take your car to any old place that has the appropriate tools, but they do with their bikes and then they are surprised some (typically)kid messed up their bike...

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
i'm always amazed at the number of people that blindly trust a bike shop employee just because he/she works at a bike shop. you wouldn't just take your car to any old place that has the appropriate tools, but they do with their bikes and then they are surprised some (typically)kid messed up their bike...
When I worked in a shop years ago, we got a percentage of the parts we sold as part of our pay. We had a high school kid that would upsell people and tell them they needed things done to their bike that didn't even make sense. I mean literally every customer who came through the door he was ramming new grips, tires, cables/housing, etc down their throat. The number of people I saw buy everything he recommended blew my mind. I'd watch this 17 year old Justin Bieber looking kid telling 55 year old men in business casual that they needed to spend $500 in parts for their $750 bike, and a lot of the time they would just tell him "yea that's fine".

He eventually got in trouble and fired for his nonsense. I just couldn't believe that some dumb kid who rode BMX, didn't know jack about mountain and road bikes was getting relatively smart adults to way overspend just for the sake of him getting more commission.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
When I worked in a shop years ago, we got a percentage of the parts we sold as part of our pay. We had a high school kid that would upsell people and tell them they needed things done to their bike that didn't even make sense. I mean literally every customer who came through the door he was ramming new grips, tires, cables/housing, etc down their throat. The number of people I saw buy everything he recommended blew my mind. I'd watch this 17 year old Justin Bieber looking kid telling 55 year old men in business casual that they needed to spend $500 in parts for their $750 bike, and a lot of the time they would just tell him "yea that's fine".
He's got a bunch of accounts on MTBR now.
Hundreds and hundreds of them, at least..
:)

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
No I got it. Picard asks dumb questions and makes dumb posts. This kid thought he was too cool to engage with other people. There's no way he's Picard lol
I believe he was making a comparison between the kid and all the hundreds of people on MTBR trying to get others to buy stuff they don't need.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I do all my own bike repair work. Unless I know the person I am talking to at a bike shop, I usually assume that they know less than I do about the parts I am looking for. I never assume they will actually give me what I want and always double check it. This approach saves me alot of grief. Buying parts online is usually an easier way to get exactly what I want.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts