Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I went in to a shop one time (and I used to work at this one 15 years prior). Anyhow, I went in to see if they had a replacement MRP roller for the chain guide I still use on my enduro bike.

None of the employees even knew what an MRP roller was.

That’s when I knew I was getting old.

·
CEO Product Failure
1,560 Posts
Similar situation happened to me a while back: broken spoke, measured spoke, went to LBS, they sold me a the wrong size...since then, I will provide the LBS with the entire wheel or remove an adjacent spoke so there is no doubt of the correct length. I also buy 2 extra spokes just in case. Its pretty nice having a small inventory of spokes at home to DIY in a pinch.

·
Pro Crastinator
11,110 Posts
I went in to a shop one time (and I used to work at this one 15 years prior). Anyhow, I went in to see if they had a replacement MRP roller for the chain guide I still use on my enduro bike.

side note, in the late 90's when i was building my first DH bike, i needed a chain guide, but had no idea what one was called. so i took a magazine picture of a DH bike with an MRP guide on it and had to point at it like a caveman and ask them to get me one of these 'thingies'...

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
There was this one time when somebody made an action I didn't like.

If only the person didn't do their job but rather listened -they should have known I'm an expert in their field.

Seriously though, just don't go back to that shop. They don't need your few bucks and belittlement that the innocent spoke caused you and them.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
There was this one time when somebody made an action I didn't like.

If only the person didn't do their job but rather listened -they should haveknown I'm an expert in their field.

Seriously though, just don't go back to that shop. They don't need your few bucks and belittlement that the innocent spoke caused you and them.
You’re absolutely right. I had no right to question their expertise. I should’ve just installed the 290mm spoke. And I should have realized that I was actually the one who asked for 290mm, and just misread the numbers I checked, double-checked, and triple-checked (because I had to place a committing order the-day-before for 4 wheels to rebuild). They were only doing their job, and I should’ve known I actually needed the 5mm-longer spoke. Seriously.

PROTIP: Reading comprehension is the first step toward formulating a proper sarcastic sentiment.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If I need parts...A picture of or the old part to show/compare. I remind myself to be patient, respectful, and humble. If I "hit the wall" as they say, I quietly leave the shop.

·
Premium Member
5,092 Posts
I understand the OPs frustration. I had a similar experience with a local shop a few years ago. The owner touted how he was the only shop in the area to have a Philwood spoke cutter to cut custom lengths. I had a spoke break on a wheel and took the wheel in to get it replaced. When I picked up the wheel, they had used a nonbutted spoke despite the others clearly being double butted. When I asked, they said they don't have any double butted. When I got home and went to tape the wheel, I found they had cut the spoke several mm short and it didn't reach the neck of the nipple (these were factory wheels with aluminum nipples). Needless to say, I never went back.

It is frustrating when you go to a shop to purchase a part, pay retail and get the wrong part. Similarly, it is frustrating when you pay for a shop's knowledge and labor, only to get garbage in return. I have learned, if I want to be sure it is done right, do it myself. Unfortunately, as I have multiple friends who have similar problems with poor shop work, I seem to get stuck doing their repairs and ordering parts. As others have said, it is like magic, I put in an order with Jenson or Universal and I always get the right part, as I can check the manufacture number and confirm before ordering. Ironically, I also normally get the part much faster, as I don't have to wait for them to put in their batch order like a shop.

·
Registered
14,529 Posts
As others have said, it is like magic, I put in an order with Jenson or Universal and I always get the right part, as I can check the manufacture number and confirm before ordering. Ironically, I also normally get the part much faster, as I don't have to wait for them to put in their batch order like a shop.

Can you order 1 spoke from Jenson?

·
Pro Crastinator
11,110 Posts
i'm sure you can, you'll likely have to talk to someone in person instead or trying online. you still get hit with the shipping though..

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Can you order 1 spoke from Jenson?
(Pricing from this point on is in the context of the DT Alpine III, my preferred building spoke, one that I know the availability and pricing-of offhand because I looked around for them before ordering a whole bunch of them via slow boat/plane the-day-before the LBS visit.)

You certainly can from Universal Cycle, or even Amazon.

It is priced as a single replacement spoke, though (i.e. ~$70 and ~$256, respectively, if you were to utilize it to source to build a wheel clean-slate). All things considered, neither of which are terrible options for the single replacement spoke if you really don’t have any options locally. And the UC option is even somewhat palatable if you were building a wheel clean slate... if you didn’t know that you can source it for literally less than half of that cost, shipping included (!) from Europe. This is a symptom of the decline of wheelbuilding in America that I alluded-to prior. Apparently Americans just don’t build wheels enough anymore for anybody to bother stocking anything other than the most basic options (i.e. DT Champion, and apparently now DT Industry). For the 3 wheels I’ve built over this pandemic reshuffling parts and breathing new life into my mothballed quiver of bikes, I have sourced all spokes from Europe, and most of the rims.

·
Registered
14,529 Posts
It is priced as a single replacement spoke, though (i.e. ~$70 and ~$256, respectively, if you were to utilize it to source to build a wheel clean-slate).

So how much per spoke?

I checked Jensens, doesn't seem like they sell them individually.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
So how much per spoke?

I checked Jensens, doesn't seem like they sell them individually.
$2/per from UC, but ~$7 shipping when below their free shipping minimum. ~$8/per from Amazon. I think they’re also available individually from Ebay as well.

~0.60 Euro/per from Bike Rose (a German outfit).

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
seems like you could have just said, "cut off 5 more mm's please" instead of having a mental breakdown about it...
I guess you missed the part where the first thing I did was to ask them to fix the not-as-spec’ed spoke, but their response was to question me on if I had even spec’ed it right in the first place.

And after fixing the mistake, UNPROMPTED, questioned me on how I was measuring my spokes. A non sequiter to fig-leaf for their initial mistake.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts

Orange ones?
Pretty sure I still have a few in NOS condition.

Apparently I'm old too.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I also buy 2 extra spokes just in case. Its pretty nice having a small inventory of spokes at home to DIY in a pinch.
In retrospect, I really should have done this after they finally got the correct length cut for me. This would obviate another experience like this should we (2 identical bikes) break another (this is front-wheel brake-side, so entirely possible) before I get to rebuild with the mass of better spokes coming by slow boat/plane.

But yes, extras were ordered with the mass of better spokes.

·
Pro Crastinator
11,110 Posts
I guess you missed the part where the first thing I did was to ask them to fix the not-as-spec’ed spoke, but their response was to question me on if I had even spec’ed it right in the first place..
i didn't miss that part. nor did miss the part where you were so consumed and bothered by nothing, that you felt the need to come online and look for some kind of affirmation...

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
i didn't miss that part. nor did miss the part where you were so consumed and bothered by nothing, that you felt the need to come online and look for some kind of affirmation...
I guess you also missed all the parts where I stated up-front that it that it was a betch/moan/rant with several mentions of the word “inconsequential,” and even explicit explanation that I would go back again to the same LBS by rationalizing for the old wrench, and clarifying (again) that it was “a rant, not a judgement.”

I’ll remember to judge anything inconsequential you share with the same exaggerated disgust from this point on since you saw fit to double-down.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts