Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying my first 100 mile race this summer, the Butte 100. 16,600 feet of climbing! I've done the 50-mile version of this race many times (8500' climbing) and I'm excited and terrified to try the 100. But my question actually involves an opportunity the weekend before.

A new race is being offered this summer, the Mystic MTB Trail race is a 40-miler with around 7000' of climbing. I'm not familiar with the terrain; however, my father used to run in the area and he thinks there isn't anything too difficult. The dilemma is that this race takes place the weekend before the Butte 100.

A 40-mile training ride the weekend before an "A" race sounds like a good idea, although 7000' of climbing is probably double what I think is wise. But a race with 7000' of climbing seems like a gamble the weekend before my "A" race of the summer. So as of right now I'm not planning on the Mystic Race. But I'm so tempted to try this new race out!

Anyone have any advice? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
If you don't think you can recover from a 40mi/7000ft race in a week, do you have a wheelchair for after the 100mi/16,000ft event? 40/7000 isn't crazy, unreasonable, and easily shrugged off if you have the training and endurance to complete a 100/16000. You can always show for the 40, race hard for 1/2 and sit up, enjoy the ride and keep your legs happy for the next weekend.

Are you a serious podium candidate for either? If not then do them both and have fun!

Both look like great events

·
It's carbon dontcha know.
4,332 Posts
Depends if you're racing for position or just for fun.

I did the Shenandoah and Fools Gold on back-to-back weekends last year.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not a contender, just a finisher. I'm not intimidated by the 40 miler, but I want to try and finish the hundred.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
401 Posts
I ride and run the trails around Mystic lake. You will be fine. It is some fun trails but the course is a lot of road. Solid Griz bear area now so bring your bear spray...

·
Registered
441 Posts
I did the Capitol Forest 100 and Shenandoah Mtn 100 last year on back to back weekends. I'm not that great of a racer and handling both races was no problem. I took it easy in the CF100 to be sure I'd recover enough for the following weekend. Of course neither of these events hold the title of "The most difficult 100 mile mountain bike race in the country". ;)

Btw, the Butte 100 looks like an awesome race. I would have *tried* to register if I weren't already registered for High Cascades and Maah Daah Hey. Maybe next year.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, the Butte 100 probably isn't the best choice for my first attempt at a hundo. And it wasn't my plan to do it in the first place, but the race has become so popular that they fill their race quota within minutes. I was trying to register for the 50 and didn't get in in time. I had said I'd try entering the 100 if I didn't get into the 50, so I kept my word to myself... I honestly have no idea how the Butte 100 terrain stacks up as "the most difficult 100 mile mountain bike race in the country," but Tinker Juarez keeps showing up to the race and crushing it. If he likes it enough to keep coming back, then it must be good! Saying that "I'll be racing in the same class as Tinker" boosts my ego, but a finish time a few hours behind him is what I expect.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'm sure you'll be alright as long as you keep up with the training and stay healthy. Besides, you have the benefit of having done the 50 so you know what to expect. And if you live in MT you'll have the elevation advantage over racers like me who live at sea level and can't catch their breathe in the mountains.

Sounds like Tinker isn't doing the Butte 100 this year. I think I saw on the FB page for the race that he's going after the NUE title and doing another race the same weekend.

1,328 Posts
I ride and run the trails around Mystic lake. You will be fine. It is some fun trails but the course is a lot of road. Solid Griz bear area now so bring your bear spray...
not to derail but I guess in some sense it's nice to NOT have to think about bringing my bear spray (Front Range CO). Wonder what they do in Alaska?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
not to derail but I guess in some sense it's nice to NOT have to think about bringing my bear spray (Front Range CO). Wonder what they do in Alaska?
I think he means that it is prime bear encounter time right now because they're coming out of hibernation. They're hungry and cranky, best to avoid them!

·
Registered
441 Posts
He's on the registration list for the Butte 100. I know he still chases big goals though so you could be right.
Athlete360

I had to check FB to be sure I didn't get that info from the crazy voices in my head. :D They posted a couple weeks ago that Tinker's hometown is hosting an NUE race that weekend so the Butte 100 is wide open for you to win it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hey Ed,
Do the Mystic Race if it sounds fun. By that time that size ride shouldn't be a big deal for you. I would just go slow and practice your pacing for the Butte in a race setting. I am probably doing the Crusher in Utah the weekend before the Mystic Race, so I have the reverse problem: will I be recovered enough? I doubt I am getting into the Butte 50, I seem to be #40 on the waitlist.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Seems to me that a 40 miler is a perfect warm up for a 100 miler. I will be doing my first 50 miler in a week this weekend plan strong 20 miler or so for warm up and training "ramp down". Last weekend I cranked out a 6hr 57 mile training ride after pretty busy week overall.

So point is 40 miler is a big ride and I would not do a 40 miler before a 50 miler, but since you should be trained for 100 mile event the 40 should easy and not wear you down especially if your goal in both races is to have fun and do your best vs chasing a top spot.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,761 Posts
Cory Wallace and Barry Wicks did the High Cascade Classic road cycling race the day before the HC100. Cory won the HC100. I would not worry about it. I did the HC100 and two days later did a race. My legs were tired but oh well. Until I get paid for such races I am not worried about it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Just signed up for the Mystic race. Bring your bear spray this is in griz country. On the waiting list for Butte and going to Tatanka 100. Hope to get in a few more? OP I will see you race day! PM me if you want to preride Mystic?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts