Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Lone Wolf
2,560 Posts
There's such an easy and obvious answer for this situation, I really don't understand why people so badly want it to be something more complicated that aligns with their political or economic views.

Companies overseas shut down production so they didn't have all of their employees shoved in a small manufacturing facility while there was a global, highly contagious pandemic happening. Now there's a backlog.

People in Asia didn't stop going to work in manufacturing facilities because Americans got $1400 checks. Capitalism hasn't collapsed in on itself because you can't get a new 12spd cassette.

The constant dramatics from both sides is getting really insufferable.

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
3,281 Posts
There's such an easy and obvious answer for this situation, I really don't understand why people so badly want it to be something more complicated that aligns with their political or economic views.

Companies overseas shut down production so they didn't have all of their employees shoved in a small manufacturing facility while there was a global, highly contagious pandemic happening. Now there's a backlog.

People in Asia didn't stop going to work in manufacturing facilities because Americans got $1400 checks. Capitalism hasn't collapsed in on itself because you can't get a new 12spd cassette.

The constant dramatics from both sides is getting really insufferable.
OMG. The conspiracies from all sides to explain the dramatic changes in market forces blow my mind. My friend is telling me that big banks are buying up houses to profit. I want to tell the home owners and entrepreneurs that they are direct but unknowingly unpaid agents of big banks.

As for cuties, yeah I’ve seen people die and if they live suffer from long time symptoms. I’ve seen departments of first responders depleted. I currently see medical care being directly impacted because of attrition from cuties. I’ve seen medical personnel who sacrificed their lives because of cuties. I saw one of our capital ships pull into port because of cuties. I’ve seen dumb asses who don’t even know what a antibody is try to explain that the advanced molecular biology used to develop the cuties vaccine is bogus.

Stupid get what they deserve in a capitalist society. The price of freedom is to allow stupid certain rights. Ignorance can be corrected.

BTW, this is a dumbed down explanation of the vaccine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
426 Posts
OMG. The conspiracies from all sides to explain the dramatic changes in market forces blow my mind. My friend is telling me that big banks are buying up houses to profit. I want to tell the home owners and entrepreneurs that they are direct but unknowingly unpaid agents of big banks.
yeah, I don’t think economists will come to a consensus as to the mechanics of what happened for a few years. Too many variables. If it was easy to know, there would be a lot of people profiting from the current economy....

·
Registered
116 Posts
yeah, I don’t think economists will come to a consensus as to the mechanics of what happened for a few years. Too many variables. If it was easy to know, there would be a lot of people profiting from the current economy....
At the moment, interest rates are in many cases negative. This creates funny distortions, it makes sense to buy a house for much more than it cost to build, either as an investor or as an individual, and for sure some people will profit from that - especially notars and agents, since they typically take a percentage cut. A yield of even 2% is still pretty good these days, even if from a rental, and lots of Life Insurance companies don't really have much choice other than to buy houses.

The other end of the crazy is the global supply chains which are not particularly resilient, or adaptable, which more than likely is why I have to wait 3+ months for a shimano brake lever ... or automotive ECU. But, for the past 20 years such an optimal system has helped keep net inflation more or less negative. Those days are probably not over ... but still ... does it make sense that every part comes from Taiwan or China? But how much are you willing to pay to not have to wait 3+ months for a brake lever ... or 12 months for a bike. Well, they are raising their prices and now a bike made in Europe, once a luxury, is actually looking like a pretty good deal ... delivery in 4 weeks.

Things are changing.

Companies like Cannondale, who raised their prices more than once ... while the shelves were actually bare ... well how can you take that seriously? Meanwhile, the good folks at Spot Bikes were able to deliver a frame the next day. So, it's not all bad, just a few questionable actors raising the prices of things they don't even have on stock.

IMO this will become a story of distortions in supply chains and distortions in interest rates, both combining to create what might become a major inflation event. The kind of inflation which cannot be explained away.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts