Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
That’s no moon.
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Maybe you guys are aware, but I haven’t been riding much and guess I hadn’t been paying attention.

I called my LBS the other day and inquired about ordering a particular bike. They said there was no ordering right now, they were lucky to get what the companies were sending, and it wasn’t much.

So it looks like I’ll be upgrading my current bike instead.

Anyway, I found this article interesting:

A $4749 bike hints at inflation peril.

·
That’s no moon.
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good luck with the upgrading too.
I know, I was also going to order a Manitou suspension fork through my LBS, but they’re out until September. Luckily I found one on the Hayes site and ordered direct. The guy at Hayes was astonished that they still had any.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
MTBR after reading the 77 millionth post about how bikes are more expensive and harder to get:
Yep.....
Pretty soon though most people should know about it.
Did you know that tires are low on supply too. go figure! haha

I visit an automobile forum and its also every few days somebody new comes in asking if anybody is aware of a shortage of parts or vehicles. Or they sound surprised when the place an order and week goes by that "the selling company doesn't even have the decency to tell me my order is delayed". As if other stuff is on-time. ha

·
That’s no moon.
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol, apparently I’ve been living under a rock. Until recently I haven’t had the cheddar to buy any shiny new toys, so was surprised when I called the shop.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey everyone, in other breaking news, ammo is expensive and in scarce supply and guns are going for 3 times their retail price on the classified forums.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I know, I was also going to order a Manitou suspension fork through my LBS, but they’re out until September. Luckily I found one on the Hayes site and ordered direct. The guy at Hayes was astonished that they still had any.
any company that actually has stock right now says a lot about the value of their product...

·
That’s no moon.
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jeez, did anyone bother reading the article, or did you just come here for an easy dunk? Just thought someone might be interested in it.

·
furker
309 Posts
Jeez, did anyone bother reading the article, or did you just come here for an easy dunk? Just thought someone might be interested in it.

I read the article. But the article was like standing in the middle of a torrential downpour while listening to a weatherman say there is a chance of rain.

"Hints at Inflation Peril Looming for U.S. Economy"?? That ship has sailed. Inflation's already here. Nothing personal, but that story makes it such an easy dunk, it's like everyone who responds is Michael Jordan.

·
That’s no moon.
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I read the article. But the article was like standing in the middle of a torrential downpour while listening to a weatherman say there is a chance of rain.

"Hints at Inflation Peril Looming for U.S. Economy"?? That ship has sailed. Inflation's already here. Nothing personal, but that story makes it such an easy dunk, it's like everyone who responds is Michael Jordan.
Point taken. I just never expected to be slammed for posting a link or ridiculed for my bike component choices. Tough crowd. I’ll think thrice next time.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,516 Posts
it is a dumb dumb dumb ultra bottom barrel article for clicks. it sucks

it's even worse you posted it here like it would be informative....smh

Reactions: stripes

·
Ride what you like!
701 Posts
And what about when Bloomberg discovers that 5k is cheap for a bicycle?
Welcome back to mountain bikes, it has gotten pretty stupid

·
Registered
116 Posts
Supply and demand 101
I don't think either supply or demand have changed that much ... however, the bits in between seem to be confused.

So long that interest rates are near 0, inflation is the only thing we can count on ... unless things get Japanese again, which would be interesting.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I don't think either supply or demand have changed that much ... however, the bits in between seem to be confused.

So long that interest rates are near 0, inflation is the only thing we can count on ... unless things get Japanese again, which would be interesting.
Someone gets it. The companies in the middle are profiteering using the pandemic excuse. Really no different than taking advantage of a sellers market in real estate. Prepare for the Sept 20 reset.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I don't think either supply or demand have changed that much
what? Supply has changed. Bikes are hard to get. The components needed for the bikes are scarce. Everything is scarce. Replacing my riding last month was challenging. Have you priced wood lately?
Demand has changed. Everyone and their dog decided they needed to ride last year since they were ‘locked down’ and couldn’t go to the gym.
Someone gets it.
Not sure about that. Do you think that the manufacturers and middlemen are just ‘chillin’ and riding the wave right now? That was covered in a previous thread.

·
Registered
426 Posts
what? Supply has changed. Bikes are hard to get. The components needed for the bikes are scarce. Everything is scarce. Replacing my riding last month was challenging. Have you priced wood lately?
Demand has changed. Everyone and their dog decided they needed to ride last year since they were ‘locked down’ and couldn’t go to the gym.

Not sure about that. Do you think that the manufacturers and middlemen are just ‘chillin’ and riding the wave right now? That was covered in a previous thread.
Didn’t say anyone was chill’n. You really haven’t added anything to the conversation other to state the semi obvious. While I will agree that bike demand and scarcity were a thing for a little while, the issue is entirely logistics. The article did a good job of throwing some blame towards the tariffs and sellers creating a bit of this supply issue. Sellers restricting supply X increased demand, cartel pricing behavior. The same thing has happens with several materials. Domestic lumber mills are sitting on wood and the raw material hasn’t gone up in price.... cartel pricing behavior. There was lots of initial news pointing the finger at pandemic Demand for lots of things, but it turns out most of the problems have to due with buyers projections being totally wrong and in some cases, greed and monopolistic behavior. It’s all interesting and just opinion on everyone’s part. I‘m sure some great research will come out of all this and the causes will be redefined a few times in the future.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,762 Posts
Whadda buncha baloney! Everyone's sittin on a beach with an endless supply of umbrella drinks getting that bonus on top if their UI checks.
And y'all expect production to exist...

All in the name of COOTIES 19, 20, 21, 22 or whaddevuh ya wanna call it today!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts