Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The hate of these brakes just gets worse and worse. Now it appears fluid squirted out of the reservoir covers at some point in time and the gloss coat is peeling. I don't believe this to be a safety issue, as it simply looks like the *extremely* thin glossing layer, but I will still check.

Man, I really hate these brakes. Hopes are going to make it to this bike as well.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
The hate of these brakes just gets worse and worse. Now it appears fluid squirted out of the reservoir covers at some point in time and the gloss coat is peeling. I don't believe this to be a safety issue, as it simply looks like the *extremely* thin glossing layer, but I will still check.

Man, I really hate these brakes. Hopes are going to make it to this bike as well.
Sorry to hear it.

I'm not sure what Avid uses for fluid (mineral or brake fluid), but if it IS brake fluid then you might be okay. There was talk a while back about an isolated incident with Formula brakes and this same thing was discussed - just the coating of the bar was compromised, integrity of bar is said to remain intact.

Figured i'd mention it.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Avid uses DOT fluid. Formula put a breather hole underneath the clamp, and it got on the bars.

It's probably just the clearcoat over the carbon. A little bit of touch-up paint might be a good idea.

As for the squirting out... I don't know. Sounds like you messed something up.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
Avid uses DOT fluid. Formula put a breather hole underneath the clamp, and it got on the bars.

It's probably just the clearcoat over the carbon. A little bit of touch-up paint might be a good idea.

As for the squirting out... I don't know. Sounds like you messed something up.
It's called the seals and a breather hole that points towards the bar.

No one asked you what the reason was. The reason was a droplet may have splashed from the breather hole to the bar, which are directly in line with one another. So add reservoir seals that have problems sealing and lasting a year to the list of reasons why I hate these brakes.

Did a sub-freezing ride today and the Hopes worked flawlessly, zero drag, and levers didn't change in their throw at all.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Now class, let's behave.

No reason for name calling, right? Two wrongs, blahblahblah. Anyway, Jerk_Chicken, have you contacted their tech support about the woes? Been my experience at the shop (and others here on these forums) that SRAM is pretty responsive to issues with their product. As for the bar, a bit of light buffing and a bit of clear enamel (available at your local Walgreen's in the nail polish aisle) will work wonders to restoring the sheen and bling of you bar. But contact those folks in Chicago, I'll put a buck says they're game to help a brother out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.