Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so weird story - I bought my 9zero7 offset used. Generally for mtb type frames I figure I'm somewhere between a medium and a large, and the 9zero7 was advertised as a large so I wasn't surprised that it felt a little on the big side. Anyway, I recently realized that it's actually an XL! With the swoopy top tube I actually barely fit on it, and since I've mostly used it as a commuter type it hasn't been a big deal. But, I've been wondering if getting a smaller frame would help its offroad manners for me.

Since the rear is offset (and these are supposedly pretty nice mikesee wheels!) I've been looking around a little at offset frames. 9zero7 frames are either more money or hard to find, Pugsley frames are more available but I've heard they are a little different.

tl;dr If I found a deal on a medium/large Pugsley frame, what sort of ride/handling differences would I find compared to the 9zero7 I have now?

·
bigger than you.
3,070 Posts
I went the other way, from a Pugsley, to an offset 9:Zero:7. I loved my pug until I rode a friend's 907, the handling is a night & day difference! With the pug, my handlebars were almost directly over the front axle, which put a lot of weight forward and up high. Going down steep grades invoked sheer terror and i went OTB more than a few times. Frame flex was noticeable and the handling suffered as a result. I also had the the welds on the seat/top tube gussets crack and bent my front fork, which was replaced under warranty.

Switching to the 907, I had a lot more control, my handlebars are about 5 inches behind the front axle and the handling is much more stable, yet remains nimble. Personally, i'd never go back to a pugsley.

·
bigger than you.
3,070 Posts
check with fat bikes.com as they were blowing out offset frames a while back I built two of them for our sons. Easy to move all the components to a new frame. Fatbikes.com is owned by the developers of the 907.
They seem to have a few left. You could probably get a decent price for your XL frame, which would offset the cost of the new one, considerably.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just looked and they list the large frames available at $799 in the single speed version which is the offset 135 frame. It comes with all the parts necessary to build it conventionally with a quick release using a 135 hub. I built the two of them in 1x10 drivetrains and they ride great. You could probably sell your XL for 3-400 so it would be a pretty cheap switch.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I went the other way, from a Pugsley, to an offset 9:Zero:7. I loved my pug until I rode a friend's 907, the handling is a night & day difference! With the pug, my handlebars were almost directly over the front axle, which put a lot of weight forward and up high. Going down steep grades invoked sheer terror and i went OTB more than a few times. Frame flex was noticeable and the handling suffered as a result. I also had the the welds on the seat/top tube gussets crack and bent my front fork, which was replaced under warranty.

Switching to the 907, I had a lot more control, my handlebars are about 5 inches behind the front axle and the handling is much more stable, yet remains nimble. Personally, i'd never go back to a pugsley.
I've been riding a Pugsley as my only bike for the last year and I think I feel the same about the geometry. I always feel high up and forward, and going down steep hills can be really scary at times.

Kind of curious how many parts would be transferable from an offset Pugsley frame to a 9zero7 offset frame? I'm fairly new to bicycling so I don't really understand how to determine this for sure on my own.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Lol, that's kind of what I was afraid of. Guess I'll wait around to see if somebody tries to dump a large offset 9zero7.
I'm dumping a gray medium with a Race Face crank set. Brand new in the box purchased at fatbikes.com in January. I'm throwing in a used 907 aluminum fork that was on my 190mm frame for two seasons. Was going on ebay next week...

Only reason for the sale is I might buy a complete one that's for sale. PM me if anyone is interested.

·
bigger than you.
3,070 Posts
I've been riding a Pugsley as my only bike for the last year and I think I feel the same about the geometry. I always feel high up and forward, and going down steep hills can be really scary at times.

Kind of curious how many parts would be transferable from an offset Pugsley frame to a 9zero7 offset frame? I'm fairly new to bicycling so I don't really understand how to determine this for sure on my own.
When I built mine, i transferred everything but the headset and seat post. Over the course of the past year, i've since upgraded it to the point where none of the parts were from my Pugsley. It's currently equipped with an XT rear dr, Wolf Tooth CR & Giant cog, Wilderness Trail Bikes Volt Seat, KS Lev dropper, Avid Elixir 9 brakes, Race Face Performance Products Turbine Crank, crankbrothers candy pedals, Cannondale Bicycles Lefty Fork, ESI Grips, Marge lite wheels w/ Hope Technology Ltd hubs. & Vee Tire Co H-Billie tires.

·
Registered
72 Posts
When I built mine, i transferred everything but the headset and seat post. Over the course of the past year, i've since upgraded it to the point where none of the parts were from my Pugsley. It's currently equipped with an XT rear dr, Wolf Tooth CR & Giant cog, Wilderness Trail Bikes Volt Seat, KS Lev dropper, Avid Elixir 9 brakes, Race Face Performance Products Turbine Crank, crankbrothers candy pedals, Cannondale Bicycles Lefty Fork, ESI Grips, Marge lite wheels w/ Hope Technology Ltd hubs. & Vee Tire Co H-Billie tires.
Ok cool, it sounds like most everything would be transferable then if I decided to go that route :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you bought a bike that you thought was a large and it was an XL? and yer not going after the seller about this?

wow.

rog
Well, I sat on it before I bought it. As I said, with the top tube shaped as it is, the standover was low enough that I could get over it. Most people here seem to prefer a bit more standover than what I was getting, but as I said I've ridden it a few hundred miles now and still haven't bruised my nuts. Main problem for me is the gigantic headtube, but more standover wouldn't hurt either.

I think I'll email 9zero7 to see if they have any more non-slider frames laying around. I doubt they do, but it's worth a shot I guess.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well, I sat on it before I bought it. As I said, with the top tube shaped as it is, the standover was low enough that I could get over it. Most people here seem to prefer a bit more standover than what I was getting, but as I said I've ridden it a few hundred miles now and still haven't bruised my nuts. Main problem for me is the gigantic headtube, but more standover wouldn't hurt either.

I think I'll email 9zero7 to see if they have any more non-slider frames laying around. I doubt they do, but it's worth a shot I guess.
you don't need to use it as a slider frame they come with a standard derailleur hanger etc to use it conventionally.

·
Registered
7,493 Posts
I have a Pug and a 907.

I have have them set up virtually identically and I reckon the handling is pretty much the same. Put different tyres on them, and they handle differently.

The Pug is SS, and the 907 has an Alfine, but I have an SS wheel for it.

I do my 24 hour races on the Pug because it has drum brakes and I don't have to lose time doing pad changes (I race unsupported). If I thought there was an advantage in using the 907, I'd stick the Pug's wheelset on it and race that. I'm sure it would be just as good as the Pug.

(It's ordinary racing, not SS specific. I just prefer SS for long hauls)

Long story short, there's nowt wrong with a Pug.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a Pug and a 907.

I have have them set up virtually identically and I reckon the handling is pretty much the same. Put different tyres on them, and they handle differently.

The Pug is SS, and the 907 has an Alfine, but I have an SS wheel for it.

I do my 24 hour races on the Pug because it has drum brakes and I don't have to lose time doing pad changes (I race unsupported). If I thought there was an advantage in using the 907, I'd stick the Pug's wheelset on it and race that. I'm sure it would be just as good as the Pug.

(It's ordinary racing, not SS specific. I just prefer SS for long hauls)

Long story short, there's nowt wrong with a Pug.
Always good to hear your thoughts and experience. If your 9zero7 was set up drum brakes and SS, would you ever take it on a 24 hour race instead of the Pug, if not just for curiosity's sake? I guess I'm wondering if you removed the obvious inequalities how would you then choose?

·
Banned
3,796 Posts

We don't buy bikes based on standover height. Tt/cockpit length is how bikes should be sized to riders.

rog

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.