Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been out of racing/biking for about 4 years, I got my car and well the rest is history. Anyway I recently hit the trails only to find out my chainrings are bent in half, so I was pricing whole new cranksets. I've found that most state they work with the 9spd setups, well I plan on keeping my 7spd cassette and setup for now... will this still work? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Brett

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
BrettRT said:
I've been out of racing/biking for about 4 years, I got my car and well the rest is history. Anyway I recently hit the trails only to find out my chainrings are bent in half, so I was pricing whole new cranksets. I've found that most state they work with the 9spd setups, well I plan on keeping my 7spd cassette and setup for now... will this still work? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Brett
Yes it should work no problem.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
My experience has been that yes, it will work, but you'll want to switch to a 9 speed chain to run on that 7 speed cassette.

For all intents, 7 speed and 8 speed spacing is similar, and I a similar combo using an 8 speed cassette and SRAM PC59 chain with a 9 speed crankset for a couple of years, no trouble.

Shimano makes a similar recommendation in their 9 speed FAQ.

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
Speedüb Nate said:
My experience has been that yes, it will work, but you'll want to switch to a 9 speed chain to run on that 7 speed cassette.

For all intents, 7 speed and 8 speed spacing is similar, and I a similar combo using an 8 speed cassette and SRAM PC59 chain with a 9 speed crankset for a couple of years, no trouble.

Shimano makes a similar recommendation in their 9 speed FAQ.
I'd say try the 7sp chain first, especially if it's not worn and in decent condition. It may work fine. I've run a 9sp crank with 7sp chain and had no problems. And I run an 8sp chain with 9sp crank and it works great.

If after trying it, it doesn't seem to shift well, switch the chain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts