Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Occasionally engaged…
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a dropper post with an offset seat clamp. It will be replacing a Fox Transfer dropper (2018) that has been faultless during the past 3 years (~7000 off-road miles). But offset is now a must and it seems that the only quality post with offset is the 9point8 Fall Line and I’d get it in the “R” version for the lighter weight (XC race application). I’m not finding much in the way of reviews or opinions on it’s function and longevity (insert obligatory “MTBR search function sucks” comment here) and hope someone can weigh in or point out another dropper with offset that I might be missing (need/want 25 mm of offset).

Thanks!

· Registered
221 Posts
I have several 9point8 Fall Line R post with the forward offset (forehead) option. The R version is limited to 150mm max stroke. I have a few Fall Line non-R posts as well, which go up to 200mm. Really wish they would make a forehead option for their non-R posts, but a rear-offset clamp is available. I like their clamp design because the tilt adjustments are separate from the seat clamps.

I had some issues with the early fall-line R units holding air, but the revised seal designs have taken care of that for me and you should have no issues with the newer units. I had one unit come in DOA with a brake that didn't hold the post up. That was fixed under warranty by replacing the brake assembly. Apparently, they had a bad batch come through. I have all the service tools so that was an easy job.

The only other post I know of that now offers an offset (either forwards or backwards) is the Rockshox Reverb with the aftermarket Fair Bicycles 'Drop Best' clamp: FAIR Bicycle Drop Best Reverb Offset Saddle Clamp alters setback and effective seat angle

I bought a reverb and the Drop Best to try out, but haven't had a chance to install it yet. The Drop Best is definitely a quality made part, but it adds weight to an already heavy post.

If you are looking for something light and are satisfied with 150mm max stroke, then between the two options, the 9point8 fall line R is the way to go.

· Gigantic Hawk
1,783 Posts
I have 4 9point8 posts (2 R's, 2 regular). They are very nice pieces of kit. My story is similar to @lixxfe's. My first one suffered from air issues, but it was fixed under warranty. They can get a little bit of stiction over time. This just means that it is time for a rebuild/cleaning/lubing type service. They can be finnicky when setting them up. Make sure you follow the directions on cable and housing length.

· Registered
432 Posts
FYI, you can buy the regular fall line with the offset head and grind down the clamp, flip it around, and you got forward offset. I did this because they didn't have the R version out yet.

At the point I was comfortable grinding it to, you are going to have the nose of your seat barely level, or pointed up a little, depending on your seat and seat angle. That is good for me, maybe not for you.

· Occasionally engaged…
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As a follow up to my original post: I purchased a Fall Line R with the offset head and it works great. It did exactly what I’d hoped for my position, allowing me to get a more rearward position while seated on a bike with a too steep (for me) seat tube angle — that extra 25mm behind the bottom bracket means a lot for my pedaling power and comfort (less weight on the hands). The dropper works great and I’m optimistic about the prospects for reliability and longevity.

Reactions: #mtnbykr

· Registered
145 Posts
A question if I may to owners. I’d like a forward offset dropper for a 24” Spawn Rokkusuta which has a really long TT and a seat angle that would benefit from the Forehead. Would childrens rider weights work (bike is aimed for 8-10 year olds). I’ve emailed them but I’m impatient ;)

· Registered
221 Posts
Yes. My boy has been on one since he was about 50lbs. Same situation with slack seat tube angle so also using the forehead option. One of the nice things about the post is that the air pressure can be reduced to reduce force required to compress. Return can get sluggish if you go too low, but post otherwise works fine.

· Registered
221 Posts
The Reverb+Fairbike works great for me, although it's much heavier. The fall-line has stroke adjustment- not sure about the reverb. The reverb seems to have ability to adjust air pressure, but I haven't played with it to see how low it can reliably go. If I get the chance, I'll check on it this weekend and let you know.

· Registered
221 Posts
@weevie, I just checked my reverb C1 (latest) model. It's supposed to be pressurized to 250psi. I was able to get it to work with full-stroke, albeit sluggishly, at 150psi. At 150psi, I was able to get it to drop with a 35lb dumb-bell. Below 150psi, it wouldn't return all the way up, but seemed to return to the same position pretty consistently. I mention this in case the full stroke is too much for your kid (although a better way to limit stroke is by using a lanyard between the seat and the seatpost clamp).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.