Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Tenya Laybacker
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my riding buddies has a bike with 9mm DT RWS thru bolts on the front. I had a set of new wheels built up a few weeks ago with Hope hubs and noticed that the front can be converted to 9mm thru bolt. It will cost me around $77 bucks to do the conversion. Is it worth it? Would I notice an increase in stiffness and improved tracking in rock gardens? I don't like throwing money at upgrades that aren't.

·
Registered
762 Posts
If you're not overly bothered by 'noodly' handling on your current setup, then I'd suggest upgrading would be a waste of money. BTW, don't worry about what your buddy thinks; just read my sig! Tee hee!

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
i noticed a difference going from qr to 9mm w/hadley axle on my 240s hub - don't know that it was $77 worth though. i'm assuming that is the cost of the hope adapters and RWS bolt right? those things are overpriced IMO - look into the hadley axle - half the cost of the RWS and less likely to break.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
I ran a 9mm solid bolt and track nuts for a couple years on a RS revelation. It was a pretty obvious improvement, still not a 20mm though. I've heard rumors of people cracking the dropouts with that set up, but it was never a problem for me, and i break everything.

What fork do you have? With a 20mm capable hub, i would look in to getting 20mm lowers first.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have a set of Hope wheels, I originally ran a 5mm DT RWS QR on the front but purchased the 9mm adapters and 9mm DT RWS thru-bolt to run on my 08 RS Revelation.

As scottzg said above - I too noticed an obvious improvement but still not up to 20mm stiffness on my other rig.
A lot better than a standard QR though and, IMO, a worthwhile upgrade for my riding & conditions.

It would certainly be cheaper buying the 9mm Hope adapters and the 9mm thru-axle than the 20mm lowers but only you can make that decision.

·
Legend
1,287 Posts
I had a set of 240s hubs with RWS on my Superlight ... they needed to get warrantied so I got two new wheels, but the replacements were QR. So, I bought some salsa skewers, and they were VERY noticeably stiffer (the skewers, not the RWS).

I think the RWS's main selling point is that most skewers are trash, because using my XT skewers makes the front end feel like ass again. I'd say get some shiny quality skewers and save yourself the anguish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.