Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI: I just purchased a Specialized Stout front hub with their Skraxle thingy on eBay...predecessor to the RWS system that DT-Swiss uses. I'm hoping to stiffen up my fork/hub connection and this option is cheaper than a DT-Swiss set-up.

Sellers Name: otherwisehk

I don't know if they have more, but they've posted a couple in the last week or so.

$58 shipped from Hong Kong.

Just thought you might like to know.

Disclaimer: I've got no connection to the seller, just interested in the system.

·
Banned
2,100 Posts
only $4.00 cheaper than the dt swiss.

Nater said:
FYI: I just purchased a Specialized Stout front hub with their Skraxle thingy on eBay...predecessor to the RWS system that DT-Swiss uses. I'm hoping to stiffen up my fork/hub connection and this option is cheaper than a DT-Swiss set-up.

Sellers Name: otherwisehk

I don't know if they have more, but they've posted a couple in the last week or so.

$58 shipped from Hong Kong.

Just thought you might like to know.

Disclaimer: I've got no connection to the seller, just interested in the system.
I would go for the dt swiss from chainreaction. You know what you are getting with dt swiss.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=21670

·
Registered
594 Posts
These hubs are fine. I bought one a couple of years back when cambria was blowing them out for $18. They use non-adjustable but good quality sealed bearings, and the thru-bolt adds a lot of stiffness over regular qr's. When the bearings get notchy, you can just tap them out and replace them.

I stopped by the Hadley shop and picked up a bolt-on aluminum thru-bolt for mine--much lighter than the steel skraxle and allows for very high clamping force.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, got the hub too.

I had a non-disc Stout hub that came on my '97 Stumpjumper. I remember it being a really smooth roller, I just didn't like the Skraxle. It was hard to open from time to time. If I have the same experience this time, I'll pick up the DT-Swiss skewer or look into that Hadley option.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Hey Guys,

Don't mean to take this off topic but is a DT Swiss axle, skraxle or whatever you call them more stiff than an ISO hub up front with a standard skewer?

I just had a wheelset built up with an ISO CK hub and didn't realize I can't use the DT Swiss axle thingy.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Gonna hate me for posting this, but here goes...

X-post clip from best deals forum:
"Nice, was able to pick up a 9mm thru axle front hub for $16 shipped using the "HOTDEAL20" code. Thanks

Specialized Stout hub if anyone else is looking for one
http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...FRONT+DISC+HUB
Only negative is that it uses the DT stlye spoking (way different length on the spokes and different tension)"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.