Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about upgrading my wheelset to have through axles front and rear instead of QR. Later on I'd like to get a new fork, which will most likely be 20mm through axle. What front hubs allow a 9mm through axle or 20mm?

My first thought was hope with their 25$ conversion kits. But they don't have a 9mm front kit. Industry 9... not listed on their website. Not chris king I think. It looks like the DT swiss 240s oversize hub would work. Anything else?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Ansible said:
I'm thinking about upgrading my wheelset to have through axles front and rear instead of QR. Later on I'd like to get a new fork, which will most likely be 20mm through axle. What front hubs allow a 9mm through axle or 20mm?

My first thought was hope with their 25$ conversion kits. But they don't have a 9mm front kit. Industry 9... not listed on their website. Not chris king I think. It looks like the DT swiss 240s oversize hub would work. Anything else?
There are no 9mm through axles (axle clamped by/threaded into the fork). There are through bolt axle hubs (axle clamps to the fork dropouts). Since you plan to go to a 20mm fork later why not use a convertible hub with a QR (or bolt-on skewer) until then?

Also, you need a frame designed for it to use a rear through axle (axle clamped by/threaded into the frame). A through bolt axle clamps to regular dropouts as used by bolt-on and QR axles.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
HOPE is a perfect choice, YES they don't offer a 9mm drilled end cap but it's very easy to drill out a standard 5mm QR end cap to use a 9 or 10mm DT RWS skewer - which I believe is what you're thinking about. I went this route and have been very happy with the results. If you aren't much of a hobbyest or haven't got the right tools a machine shop can do it for you very easily - all that's really needed is a drill press with vice so as to accurately drill out the caps dead center.

Ansible said:

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I emailed hope about this - got this reply back today:

There are plans in the pipeline to make a 9mm front conversion for the
Pro 2. It should be available through retailers by the end of Jan.

Customer Service

Hope Technology
Fernbank Mill
Fernbank Avenue
Barnoldswick
Lancashire
BB18 5UX

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
ABOUT TIME!! I hope they also do the 10mm end caps so you can also run the DT skewers on the rear. But for now a drill press and 9 & 10mm bits works fine ;)

Ansible said:
I emailed hope about this - got this reply back today:

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Well looky there, they do :eek: Guess I figured if there wasn't a 9mm, then there wasn't a 10mm either - guess I was wrong :eekster: Was just saying though, as it's not a worry for me, I run the SS/Trials version of the Pro2 so it's a bolt on and builds up dishless for a super strong 29er wheel. I do use the DT RWS on the Reba though and it does help a good bit, but nothing like a 20mm TA.

Ansible said:
Hey LyNx; I think they do the 10mm rear already, apparently. Jenson has a QR to 10mm adapter on their website...

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.