Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Harshing my mellow, man..
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.
Today I received and rode my first 29er, but before I went, I converted it to tubless with a stan's strip and some sealant. Worked fine. But I didn't know how to know what sort of tire pressure to run? Is it any different than a 26" bike? I thought it would be since there is more volume, but didn't know for sure. So I just set it up with 35psi on the rear and 34 on the front. I weigh 150, and typically ran about 30 on my old 26" bike. Is there a generic rule of thumb?

·
Banned
1,111 Posts
Go down in pressure if you are running tubeless.

I weigh 170 and run 25 psi front and back without burps. If it gets rocky bump it up a couple of psi to be safe.

What I don't understand is how I get more traction and roll faster than with tubes??

I have a SS XXIX and I rode with someone that has an XXIX+G with tubes. I was coasting right behind him when he was pedaling at a decent pace. Some areas I could coast over pretty good obsticles compared to the tubed version having to gear down and power through. I don't know what it is, but I like it.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
PSI is PSI, to reach it you may need to add more air/volume because the tyre is bigger - volume has nothing to do with PSI. As for running tubeless, I run any of my tyres from 25-32 normally with no worries and have gone below 20 without problems - I'm about 170lb w/out gear and about 185lbs geared, use Stans Flow rims.

·
Harshing my mellow, man..
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LyNx said:
PSI is PSI, to reach it you may need to add more air/volume because the tyre is bigger - volume has nothing to do with PSI. As for running tubeless, I run any of my tyres from 25-32 normally with no worries and have gone below 20 without problems - I'm about 170lb w/out gear and about 185lbs geared, use Stans Flow rims.
Running that low of pressure doesn't make it feel slow at all? I guess I just need to experiment to kind of find the perfect pressure of fast rolling/good traction. I didn't realize that the PSI would transfer over from a 26" bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.