Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finished the 99 Zaskar SS build, so I thought I'd post some pics. They aren't that great, I took them in a hurry, but they get the concept across. :)

As you can probably tell, it's not a lightweight, mainly due to the fork & wheels, which I had before I got the frame. (couldn't pass up the deals) I reduced the travel on the Tora 318 Air Solo to 70mm to preserve the Zaskar geometry.

I love the Rennen Rollenlager tensioner, and Rennen Spacer set. It makes chain alignment and rear cog swap super simple. I did a lot of research before I chose and it's pricey, but worth it IMO. I did have to space the roller inboard with a longer bolt & washers to clear the stay and allow it to tension upward enough, but no sweat. It wraps the chain around the cog nicely with perfect tension and gives plenty of adjustability for cog swaps, and stretch.

I also researched chainring/cog combos, and I chose 2 setups to give me flexibility for different riding. I recommend this gear calculator when planning an SS project.

https://eehouse.org/fixin/formfmu.p...etch=0.01&axleAdjust=vert&sortKey=Stay_length

I chose a larger chainring because I wanted larger cogs in the rear. That let me tension the Rollenlager upward with the setups I was shooting for. I chose a 36t E13 DH Chainring, and Surly 21t & 17t cogs. The 21t gives me a 44 inch gear, and the 17t gives me a 54 inch gear. The gear swap is also simple using Sram 8spd powerlinks. If I go to the 21t cog, I add one link and another powerlink. I know that's not recommended, but if I have an issue, I'll just get a second chain.

Let me know if I can answer any questions.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jeff, I appreciate it.

Yeah, that's my 04 GT Timberline custom comfort cruiser. I only own 3 GT's, and I do like them, but I'm way out of the league of many on this forum. My GT knowledge probably fits in a thimble comparatively.

Nice mattress, in the back, Huh? My friend's son comes to visit sometimes. He was here this weekend. I had it propped against the wall, but it slid down and laziness prevented me from moving it. Now my laziness is documented....lol.

·
The need for singlespeed
973 Posts
Nice looking build. I'm doing something similar with my '05 (converting to SS). I had to open up the Rollenlager's mounting holes since my derailleur hanger is a bit too long. How are you liking the ride it so far?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the positive comments guys. Honestly, I haven't ridden it yet. I'm in the northeast, and I intend the Zaskar to be a fair weather fun bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.