Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much would you pay for a 99 Specialized Stumpjumper, stock except a monkey lite carbon bar, egg beaters, flite saddle and xt crankset. I don't think it would be disc compatible in the back but I have a sid I could put on the front and run disc.

Would it be a good start for a cheap, lite build?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I picked up the 1999 stumpjumper pro for $475. It has specialized stout hubset with mavic 222 rims. Not the lightest wheelset so I need to find a cheap lite wheelset, non-disc for the rear wheel at least.

The fork is a dual air sid xc, it has very little travel. I'm not sure why but it looks like it's getting only 1 1/2 inches of travel....maybe.

It has an older Ritchey post and flite saddle which together weigh around 550 grams.

I swapped out the specialized stem for a no name one at 150 grams. It has easton monkey lite bars.

The shifters/lever combo is xt. xt v-brakes

xt crankset, xtr rear and xt front Der.

It weighs around 23lbs now just have to loose a pound or two.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Score!

That sounds like a pretty nice deal. I'm surprised it is really that light, but more power to ya.

I just picked up a (2001?) StumpJumper hardtail for my wife off craigslist for $65. Imonna try to make it 23 lbs for her on the cheap. I'll keep a lookout for a Noleen fork or something light... maybe a used older SID that still works.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I have a 2000 Stumpjumper Pro. Its really not too hard to find a cheap light set of wheels on Ebay. I found a set of DT Swiss Hugi hubs mated to ceramic rims that weighed about 1500 grams. The wheels were brand new and were about $200. There is not a great demand for rim brake wheels with so many people switching to Disc. I run Pythons mostly because they are cheap and fairly light. I got rid of the SID, it was pretty worn out and went with a Skareb, which I bought new. I might look for a used Skareb if I had to do it over. They are pretty cheap and I think work better than the SID.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.