Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering how Titus has changed the Racer X over the year's. Specifically the '99 to the '04? Same basic design? (looks like it to my unfamiliar eye) Similar weight? Anything major that's different. Would one consider a cheap used RX from '99?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
203 Posts
Have owned a 99 RX and own a 03 Hammerhead.....

Well......a 98 RX that was sold as a 99, but that's another story. The main difference is since 2002 the RX design has used the swing link and a standard Fox shock. Pre 2002 models had custom Fox shocks that were an integral part of the Mac strut rear end and had to have longer bushings to handle the side loads. The swing link design allows you to use any air shock with the correct 7 7/8 eye to eye length.

When I needed to replace my rear shock on my 99 RX is when I found out It was a 98 model. It needed a 7 1/4 length shock (Titus went from 7 1/4 to 7 7/8 in 99..they still use 7 1/4 on smaller RX models)......Fox tried to build one for me and and it came back 7 1/2....have no clue how they screwed that up but they only charged me $125/w shipping. Ended up buying a 7 1/4 RL Float from Titus for $325 (ouch!!)....they didn't have any R models in stock when I ordered.

If you can get a good deal on a pre 2002 RX they're still a great bike......just realize your limited to using a custom rear shock which may someday be difficult to replace.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
More than the X-link, I think the biggest change is the (highly recommended) option to get an RX-100 with geometry corrected for a 4" fork. 80mm forks are now the minimum travel you can buy and you only really see them on dedicated race bikes. Front travel is much more important than rear travel. 100mm fork is a better balance front to rear and are just more fun to ride. Titus and HH have it dialed in so you're not losing that sweet RX handling.

If you're looking at the RX100, be sure to check the Hammerhead. It's the same design and made by Titus but has some geometry tweeks and tougher construction making it a bit more trail bike oriented. Sizing is a bit different too.

http://www.hammerheadbikes.com/bikes/hammerhead

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.