Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I was wondering if any one here has any experience with the handmade Super T's from a while back? I recently picked one up and was surprised at how much flex (front to back) there was in the fork. Are my bushings shot or were all the old Super's like this? I'm not a really heavy guy (155lbs) but the fork seemed to move alot while just sitting on the bike. While I'm asking, how many exactly were made? I've heard everything from 200 to 2000? Thanks in advance.

Clem

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
not many were made

I had the 1998 version, which is identical to your 1999 version. The older 1997 version was a bit different though.

Front to aft flex is probably because of worn bushings, not because of anything in the fork being "flexy", the thing has juge CNCed legs, a HUGE arch with 4 bolts per side, forged crowns, and butted uppers. It's a very stiff fork when working properly.

One thing to check though is that your crowns are clamped to the tubes the correct way. I've seen these done wrong before. You want to make sure that the lower crown is BELOW the "line" on the stanchions where the diameter gets smaller, and with the upper crown you need to make sure that it is ABOVE the line where the dimaeter returns to normal. If you are unsure, just loosen both crowns and pull the tubes up to see where these lines are at, you'll be able to see them easily, but if the crowns are clamped incorrectly, you may not because the line may be below the crown. This would cause problems if it is set this way.

The bushings should be the same as for an 01 or 02 super T, so you should have no problems getting them. It might be time for an overhaul, just replace the seals to be on the safe side, but after that it should be good for another few thousand miles.

I loved mine, it was like a mini monster T, super plush and just miles ahead of anything else that was on the market in 1998.

These things retailed for around $2400, yes, that is correct :D They were handmade (hence the modern day Super T Pro(duction). The numbers are fairly small, but due to the interchangability with the 01 super T, about the only thing that you may not be able to get are the legs and arch, although they might still have the programming for the legs and arch and could be concinced to do it, but it'd be expensive.

They are great forks. Make the 6" boxxers look pathetic :D

Picture right before I sold it, painted it and put 02 graphics on it

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Jm. The legs are clamped on properly, so I'm guessing its the bushings. The flex is really noticable at full or near full extension. Just sitting on my bike and bouncing a bit causes noticble flex. When the fork is compressed, the flex is almost gone.

Clem

1 - 3 of 3 Posts