Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have enough parts lying around to build another bike. I've found what I believe to be a 1999 Fisher Big Sur (frame is black & white w/ red & white fisher decals). I haven't gotten an answer out of the seller yet. Would this bike have had a 1 1/8" headset? Was the geometry set up for an 80 mm travel fork? Not that disc brakes are my biggest concern, but did this bike have disc tabs on the rear? If any one could help shed some light on this that would be awesome. Thanks.

·
Silver bullet
204 Posts
I own one of these bikes that is exactly as you described and it is a 99 Fisher Big Sur. I purchased it new in 99 and have kept it while going through other bikes. I just finished building it up for a winter bike and I can tell you for sure it has a 1 1/8" neck. I can't tell you if it was build for an 80MM fork or not but I just installed a 100MM. I haven't ridden it yet because I'm waiting for the temp to go above zero.
It does not have disc tabs on the rear triangle but since I wanted disc since it's a winter snow and ice bike I decided to try one of those A2Z disc adapters. It's kind of hodge podge but it mounts the caliper and seems pretty stout. Like I said, I haven't had the chance to try it out yet but I'm anxious to see how it works.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your help. If possible, reply to this thread again after you have tried the bike and let me know how that A2Z disc adapter installed and held up. I'm interested to find out. Thanks once again.

·
Silver bullet
204 Posts
I finally got to try this unit yesterday and the A2Z brake attachment held up fine. It stayed tight and the brakes stopped just like a solid mount.
My biggest worry is if I ever flat. You have to remove the unit to get the wheel off and in the winter when it's cold and the metal is cold you don't want to worry about loosing screws in the snow and freezing your fingers. There also is a chainring bolt used to hold it in place so you need to carry one of those wrenches with you too. I put some Stans flat fix in the tube just for extra insurance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.