Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Part list :

Frame - KHS Tucson size M cro-moli
Wheels - costom made : Rims are Stan's no tube , American classic hubs and DT spokes total weight for the set inc tires 1460g
Bar - Easton monkey lite SL carbon
Brakes - Formula oro k24 black
Derailleur - Front 2009 XT Rear - 2007 XTR
Crankset - 2008 XTR
Seatpost - Tompson Elit SL
Stem & Head set are BBB (Don't remember the model sorry guys...)
Seat is bontrager with cro-moli rails

As you can see muck more work do to and money to spent if I want to make it even lighter...I am a little afraid ti make it to light since I ride many local technical trails , I want to test it out a bit before I take down the weight to 9.5 - 9.3 kg that's about the min I guess

·
Banned
822 Posts
Odedl said:
Wheels - costom made : Rims are Stan's no tube , American classic hubs and DT spokes total weight for the set inc tires 1460g
I'm hoping you mean without tires.

Even with Aerolites or CX-Rays, I have a hard time seeing how you get 1460g wheels using American Classic hubs, and ~410g rims...

Because I have the same build (AmC, CX-Ray, 355 29er) on the way, and I'm calculating between 1500g and 1510g.

130g front hub
225g rear hub
410g front rim
410g rear rim
5g x 64 = 320g (spokes will be like 4.9g each)
20g nips

= 1515g

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Odedl said:
Bar - Easton monkey lite SL carbon
Brakes - Formula oro k24 black
Derailleur - Front 2009 XT Rear - 2007 XTR
Crankset - 2008 XTR
Seatpost - Tompson Elit SL
Stem & Head set are BBB (Don't remember the model sorry guys...)
Seat is bontrager with cro-moli rails

As you can see muck more work do to and money to spent if I want to make it even lighter...I am a little afraid ti make it to light since I ride many local technical trails , I want to test it out a bit before I take down the weight to 9.5 - 9.3 kg that's about the min I guess
How come you posted it as 10800 grams over on the 29"er board and 9800 grams here?

my new 29" ofaniim
total wight 10800 grams
I will post pics of the scaling another time..
for now just the regular pics

Hmmmm.....

BB

·
Registered
223 Posts
duke of kent said:
I'm hoping you mean without tires.

Even with Aerolites or CX-Rays, I have a hard time seeing how you get 1460g wheels using American Classic hubs, and ~410g rims...

Because I have the same build (AmC, CX-Ray, 355 29er) on the way, and I'm calculating between 1500g and 1510g.

130g front hub
225g rear hub
410g front rim
410g rear rim
5g x 64 = 320g (spokes will be like 4.9g each)
20g nips

= 1515g
agree, my ac's without sapims weigh 1601g.

hmmmm .... lightweight carbon med 29er frame is 1441g ...i'd expect khs with that spec to be more like 11kg, definitely not under 10.

·
Registered
290 Posts
A few changes for ya:

-2009 Superfly in a 17.5 was 1224.3g with and no cage bolts
-American classic skewers were 103.5g and have a very poor cam design. I would not recommend them. Perhaps KCNC would be a better option.
-Chris King is a no go, the fly is a ZS headset, best bet is either the Scalhaead or 110, both are lighter than the king.
-Ditch the interlock post clamp, Omni race makes a 9g clamp for 35mm frames.
-Remember that the fork has a custom 51mm offset, and 5mm off in either direction will make the bike handle quite differently.
-The "Flexy" bar with "Stiff" stem is an interesting approach. Schmolkes bars are 560mm wide, 25.4 clamp Dia., very expensive and not very stiff.
-Rotors stems are stiff, expensive and only come in 31.8 Dia.
-KMC X9SL is 250.4g for 107 links

Take a good look at the Pro bikes on Cyclingnews, they may look dull and stock but some times stiffness is more important than super light weight. I (all 123lbs, 5' 10") recently converted to a heavier 31.8mm Bontrager bar and stem combo and the stiffness gain is very noticeable when climbing and sprinting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.