Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Living Life Behind Bars..
Joined
·
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well almost. Thanks to Rumpfy for leaving my laundry list up and thanks for all the leads. I bought this bike from a guy who as you can see rarely rode this Tange handbuilt, filet brazed beauty. You may have seen it up on ebay it had no bids so we worked this out after the fact. !9" Altitude team only, Judy SL's, Syncros bb, Race Face cranks ( rings are new ) Syncros post Race Face headset and xtr front der. I threw on the red kings, xt thumby's, Real levers, Machine Tech's, Easton bar and Thompson Stem and of course the Ringle cage.

I am going to throw on a short cage xt rear der. and cycle dynamics ti 8 speed cassette. Just need to get a set of Syncros crank o matics bolts and a set of black canti's ( grafton, Pauls ).

The best part of this project was when I went to a buddies house that is a road rider and he had a box of these mtb parts that he had collecting dust for 10 + years so I scored 2 sets of Thumb's one new, one used a 1" threaded Syncros fork with all decals intact and a complete set of xt canti's.

I had a Vertex team only back in the day and it was the one bike I wish I never sold. This forum really gives you the inspiration to get these projects going. Thx
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,822 Posts
Lookin sweet!
love the look of those brakes.

I love the ride of my norco TNT (tange ultimate superlight tubing). she's been neglected, but since the wife says a bike or two must go, she'll get more love soon, if nothing else, commuting duty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
1" syncros fork?

Are you sure it is a 1 inch steerer? I was under the understanding that syncros never did a 1" steerer. If it is, I have been misinformed... sorry laffeaux.
 

·
VRC Illuminati
Joined
·
17,654 Posts
Yeeeah, that Syncros fork as a kick down would be just fine by me. ;)


Great find. Looking at what you've got going on there...I'd call that guy a 'Resto Mod'. A bit of old mixed with a bit of new to make the bike exactly what you want! Well done, I'm glad this landed in your garage. :)
 

·
Living Life Behind Bars..
Joined
·
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rhett101 said:
Are you sure it is a 1 inch steerer? I was under the understanding that syncros never did a 1" steerer. If it is, I have been misinformed... sorry laffeaux.
I am sure it is a 1" trust me..it would be on this bike if it was'nt. It has a deore headset ( loose ball bearings ) on it. I think King does a devoloution but I am not sure it would work on a threaded steerer ?

I used to have accu~trax on my vertex so I would not be too hard pressed to run her in this bike if it worked. He also had a ti race face stem with that clamp on the bottom but I felt guilty as he refused to take cash so I left it.
 

·
Holy Chromoly!!
Joined
·
542 Posts
Rumpfy said:
Machine Tech. They make cool stuff. Kinda hard to come by.
I have a set... Im not using them....
 

·
MT rider
Joined
·
255 Posts
Awesome...

g-t- said:
well almost. Thanks to Rumpfy for leaving my laundry list up and thanks for all the leads. I bought this bike from a guy who as you can see rarely rode this Tange handbuilt, filet brazed beauty. You may have seen it up on ebay it had no bids so we worked this out after the fact. !9" Altitude team only, Judy SL's, Syncros bb, Race Face cranks ( rings are new ) Syncros post Race Face headset and xtr front der. I threw on the red kings, xt thumby's, Real levers, Machine Tech's, Easton bar and Thompson Stem and of course the Ringle cage.

I am going to throw on a short cage xt rear der. and cycle dynamics ti 8 speed cassette. Just need to get a set of Syncros crank o matics bolts and a set of black canti's ( grafton, Pauls ).

The best part of this project was when I went to a buddies house that is a road rider and he had a box of these mtb parts that he had collecting dust for 10 + years so I scored 2 sets of Thumb's one new, one used a 1" threaded Syncros fork with all decals intact and a complete set of xt canti's.

I had a Vertex team only back in the day and it was the one bike I wish I never sold. This forum really gives you the inspiration to get these projects going. Thx
B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!!!! :eek:
 

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
Joined
·
16,470 Posts
g-t- said:
well almost. Thanks to Rumpfy for leaving my laundry list up and thanks for all the leads. I bought this bike from a guy who as you can see rarely rode this Tange handbuilt, filet brazed beauty. You may have seen it up on ebay it had no bids so we worked this out after the fact. !9" Altitude team only, Judy SL's, Syncros bb, Race Face cranks ( rings are new ) Syncros post Race Face headset and xtr front der. I threw on the red kings, xt thumby's, Real levers, Machine Tech's, Easton bar and Thompson Stem and of course the Ringle cage.

I am going to throw on a short cage xt rear der. and cycle dynamics ti 8 speed cassette. Just need to get a set of Syncros crank o matics bolts and a set of black canti's ( grafton, Pauls ).

The best part of this project was when I went to a buddies house that is a road rider and he had a box of these mtb parts that he had collecting dust for 10 + years so I scored 2 sets of Thumb's one new, one used a 1" threaded Syncros fork with all decals intact and a complete set of xt canti's.

I had a Vertex team only back in the day and it was the one bike I wish I never sold. This forum really gives you the inspiration to get these projects going. Thx
Gorgeous bike! It's kinda tough to see, but is the bb TIG'ed? You say brazed, and the pic of the stays looks that way, or is it just thick paint over fine welds? Have fun with it!
 

·
Living Life Behind Bars..
Joined
·
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MendonCycleSmith said:
Gorgeous bike! It's kinda tough to see, but is the bb TIG'ed? You say brazed, and the pic of the stays looks that way, or is it just thick paint over fine welds? Have fun with it!
Under the bb shell it has a Tom ritchey stamp ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,266 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
Gorgeous bike! It's kinda tough to see, but is the bb TIG'ed? You say brazed, and the pic of the stays looks that way, or is it just thick paint over fine welds? Have fun with it!
MCM, is that a Ridgeback on your avatar... Anyhow, here is my Vertex Altitude TO (it's my ice bike) with my riding buddy...
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,740 Posts
Are you absolutely sure it's a 1" steerer tube 'cause I don't think so. I owned several Rockies in the early/mid 90's and everything was 1 1/8".
flipnidaho said:
MCM, is that a Ridgeback on your avatar... Anyhow, here is my Vertex Altitude TO (it's my ice bike) with my riding buddy...
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top