Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just snagged a really nice '97 KK and it came with a 27.0mm Thomson post. After looking at it for a bit, I noticed the clamp looked a little pinched... so I loosened it up to take the post out. The 27.0mm post is *very* loose in the seat tube when not tightened down. To double-check, I took the 27.0mm Controltech post out of my GT Power Series BMX bike (which has a nice, snug, needs a bit of effort to install feel) and tried it on the Kahuna. This post also almost falls into the seat tube without touching it.

Everything I've read indicates this frame should use a 27.0mm post... but is it possible that a more common 27.2mm post would be the correct size for my frame? I don't have any 27.2's readily available to try, so I'm wondering if a loose post is normal (I had an Iron Horse like this, once), or if I should try a size up?

Oh, and a random picture because people look at posts with pictures. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I know that the '98 is 27.0, and that Kona switched to 27.0 from 27.2 in either '97 or '98. I would recommend getting it sized to double check, but I have a suspicion that it may be a 27.2, I remember having to exchange my seatpost when I purchased mine, and the shop guys didn't believe it was a 27.0 (my frame is #0007 in the 98 model).

·
Registered
297 Posts
My 97 KK def. came as a 27.0

But after 10-11 years of removing raising and lowering of seatpost , i can also fit a 27.2 in there.Sometime I use a 27.0 RockShox post and sometimes a 27.2 Bontrager CarbonLite
The 27.0 will drop all the way on its own , while the 27.2 needs a good lube and my 220lbs
to get down , but the Salsa QR clamp will hold them both at correct height in spite of my 220lbs
Cheers

·
Registered
543 Posts
I think this is common in high-end Konas of that age. I have a 97 Kilauea and a 98 Explosif and they are both supposed to take a 27.0, but a 27.0 will fall down if unclamped, which in my book is too loose and could put too much of a strain on the top of the seat tube. Both frames will comfortably accommodate a 27.2, so that is what I use, no matter what Kona say. I'd be dubious though about fitting a post that was so tight it needed a 220 guy's strength to shift it (especially as I'm 145!)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Klein Freak said:
Everything I've read indicates this frame should use a 27.0mm post...
First of all - nice score.

You're right about this post. The size out of the factory is 27.0mm, however, Kona's Ti frames have an insert in the seat tube that through the years wears down and becomes loose through riding and removal/ insertion. This results in a size larger seat post. A 27.2mm should do the trick. If your insert has worn down and is larger than that, a 27.4mm (harder to find) may fit. Be careful though, don't stuff larger seat posts into that tube because you can. The insert protects the Ti from breakage. If you think it's too worn, go to a frame builder for an assessment. He can also put a new insert in that tube for you.

Enjoy the frame. I have one (97 w/ the same seatpost problem) and it's my favorite ride.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts