Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Obviously Single
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry if this has already been discussed here, but I don't normally hang out here ...

I saw a bike advertised in Bike the other day, that was called a "96er" -- it had a 26" wheel in the back and a 29" wheel in the front.

Coming from the MX (motorcycle) world, this makes sense to me (at least on paper).

Has anybody tried this or does anybody know anything about it?

·
Registered
419 Posts
http://www.carverbikes.com/

LeeMan said:
sorry if this has already been discussed here, but I don't normally hang out here ...

I saw a bike advertised in Bike the other day, that was called a "96er" -- it had a 26" wheel in the back and a 29" wheel in the front.

Coming from the MX (motorcycle) world, this makes sense to me (at least on paper).

Has anybody tried this or does anybody know anything about it?
nono no no no more

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
This has been tried and discussed here before at some length.

The general consensus is that 29'er wheels front and back were the best option.

However, go ahead and try it yourself if you want. I personally prefer having the big wheels on both ends of the bike,.. :)

R.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
The bad part for you it you'd have to try it by pulling your wallet. Try and find a 96'er near you. Open a thread for it, and surely there's a 29" loaner in your county to throw a leg over. And it's a concept that has seen manufacturers unable to meet demand the past year. 96'ers are limited to magazine tests. None on the trails.

29" rear wheels are your friend.

·
those are Rollercams...
1,894 Posts
Cloxxki said:
96'ers are limited to magazine tests. None on the trails. QUOTE]

Actually becoming kinda popular on the trails here in Pennsyltucky and in other parts of the north eastern United States, possibly due to the type of trails we ride here(techie) where the larger front wheel is beneficial. I just put a 29" front wheel on my Inbred and I like it.
That said, I'm itching to try a full 29er to experience the total package before I commit. Unfortunately, I'm VERY short and very small 29ers ain't easy to locate for a trial ride or 3. :(

·
Registered
386 Posts
funkenstein said:
nono no no no more
29/26ers, 96ers, or whatever....

this is becoming one of those topics that is like when I ate a bad polish dog the other day---it keeps coming back up again and again

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
?

From the angle of all the promo photos on the site it looks more like a 69'er to me :confused:

:D

·
Registered
847 Posts
I take it

that you didn't get the Polish at In-N-Out Burger...

OrBikbldr said:
29/26ers, 96ers, or whatever....

this is becoming one of those topics that is like when I ate a bad polish dog the other day---it keeps coming back up again and again

·
Registered
386 Posts
steelbike said:
that you didn't get the Polish at In-N-Out Burger...

Oh man, what I would give for one of those, having grown up in So. Cal. It has been about 2 years since I had one. In my high school days I used to do a 4 x 4. Now it is just Double Double and fries.

No, the polish dog was a bad idea, got it at a convenience store. I got what I deserved for buying it from such an establishment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts