Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
NedwannaB
12,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the rings for this series are more "propriatary and spendier" then others, but wondering if anyone has jumped up a few teeth over the 34? Is there a 36-38t ring available? And what type of chain or "bash ring" gaurd if you will has been used when dropping the big ring to make a 2x9?

Thanks in advance.

G

·
I dunno if there is a 36-38, buut BBG bashguard is the only way to go on that department. I'm sure a lot of people will back me up on that. Free bump.

·
Ow!
775 Posts
I have a 960 also, and looked for upgrades a few years ago. I do not think there is a chainring higher than a 34t available (Blackspire, I believe, maybe Middleburn). Also, the only bash I know that is available now is the Blackspire (which I have), and it would likely accomodate a >34t if you could find one. I seem to remember reading about some other manufacturers besides Blackspire (and Middleburn, which are the rings I use now), but I will leave that to other posters.

I don't think BBG makes a bash that will fit a 960, but maybe they will do a custom?

·
NedwannaB
12,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BBG a no-go

I have a 960 also, and looked for upgrades a few years ago. I do not think there is a chainring higher than a 34t available (Blackspire, I believe, maybe Middleburn). Also, the only bash I know that is available now is the Blackspire (which I have), and it would likely accomodate a >34t if you could find one. I seem to remember reading about some other manufacturers besides Blackspire (and Middleburn, which are the rings I use now), but I will leave that to other posters.

I don't think BBG makes a bash that will fit a 960, but maybe they will do a custom?
Heard back from them earlier.

Kinda want to make some use of these since I just replaced all 3 rings which cost more then when I bought the original crankset!:madmax: I just want to get a little more clearence and not get stuck and hung up on log overs anymore like I have been! :nono:

·
Registered
757 Posts
Heard back from them earlier.

Kinda want to make some use of these since I just replaced all 3 rings which cost more then when I bought the original crankset!:madmax: I just want to get a little more clearence and not get stuck and hung up on log overs anymore like I have been! :nono:
What's the BCD?

·
NedwannaB
12,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thinking 146

What's the BCD?
Ive seen some from HomeBrew, nice, but they are as big around as the ring so wouldn't be gaining clearence. I was hoping for something just big enough to cover ends of the fixed spiders.

·
NedwannaB
12,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dayam, that would be it. Thx.

Still bigger then I'd like. Maybe these just arent ment to be altered from a tripple. :eek:

·
Ow!
775 Posts
Yeah, I do not think that Shimano had any intention that the 960 cranks would be used with a bash. And the reason for the very large bash, even though there is only 32t or 34t available, is the hole diameter. But I have one and it looks good, which is important, right?

·
NedwannaB
12,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I saw a Pro 36t ramped chainring on the link from Bailey44. I'm going to check with Blackspire to see if it works on this series. Then maybe get along with the guard. Too bad I didn't think of this earlier on, the replacement chain ring was about the same as both of these combined! D'oh!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts