Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The goodies are rolling in. The 952 FD is a nice weight, I thought. The American Classic BB isn't bad either; It's supposed to be stiff as well. We will see.

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
Where did you find the Next LP ....

cranks!

I've got a set of SID blue ones that are unused and was after silver or black to match the color scheme on my bike.

·
Registered
364 Posts
What chainrings are you going to use?

Did you do any mods to the F/D other than the obvious bolt tuning? My M970 XTR F/D weighs like 126g or something like that. I didn't know they were getting heavier!

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Strong Ti said:
cranks!

I've got a set of SID blue ones that are unused and was after silver or black to match the color scheme on my bike.
If I told you that I'd have to kill you.;) :D

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,914 Posts
the 950/952 xtr front derailleurs were basically the lightest ones the XTRs came in, but I was never a fan of the differential plate design, especially not since its not a steel cage. The cage plates are aluminium with a nickle plating, which does wear off. Every other shimano front derailleur has used steel cage plates.

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cogswell23 said:
What chainrings are you going to use?

Did you do any mods to the F/D other than the obvious bolt tuning? My M970 XTR F/D weighs like 126g or something like that. I didn't know they were getting heavier!
I'll be using what I have left of my Sugino SSIII 42 and 32 rings and some other 22t ring that I still have to pick up. The only mods that I did to the FD was the bolt tuning, I removed the stupid plastic seat that the limit screws ran through and I replaced the heavy steel cable fixing washer thing with a small M5washer. The XTR FD keeps getting heavier and heavier.:skep:

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mpap89 said:
where'd you get that bb. i'm looking at those cranks, but want to avoid isis.
Michael
Cambriabike. I was looking at a Phil Wood TiMag BB but at $270.00USD I went with the AC.

·
Registered
470 Posts
What does that lump in the middle of the BB axle do? I suspect it only makes machining easier. If you're REALLY gram-conscious you could save a few grams by turning that down on a lathe and make it more like the old Cook Bros. and World BB's with straight axles.

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Slobberdoggy said:
Very nice light weight p*rn :thumbsup:

I have to admit I still really like square tapers.

Great work.
Thanks. Square taper is the way to go for now, I think. I really wanted that Phil Wood BB but 270USD for a BB is crazy even for me. The 270USD doesn't even include the cups that you need to buy separate!:eekster:

·
Registered
510 Posts
I've been using AmClassic square taper Ti BB on both my Road bike (103) and MTB (111) since '97.

The lump is the exit grease port, you remove one crank bolt, pump your grease gun and wait for the grease to purge out the bearings. Works very well.

AmClassic stocks the replacement bearings also. I go through a standard set every other year. Cheap cost directly from AmClassic.

Even though AmClassic doesn't stock Ceramics, I have found a source for Hybrid and Full Ceramic replacements.

·
10,914 Posts
My own FD-M950 (31.8 clamp, bottom pull) with Ti bolts, an Al washer, and now the plastic bit removed is 107 grams (the plastic bit is 1g and is mainly there to show which is the H and L screws, and to keep the bolts from rattling loose while you ride). Its sitting in my derailleur bin awaiting a suitable project.

·
Registered
364 Posts
DeeEight said:
My own FD-M950 (31.8 clamp, bottom pull) with Ti bolts, an Al washer, and now the plastic bit removed is 107 grams (the plastic bit is 1g and is mainly there to show which is the H and L screws, and to keep the bolts from rattling loose while you ride). Its sitting in my derailleur bin awaiting a suitable project.
So do you have a problem with your bolts rattling loose, or is it a superfluous bit?

Do you loctite the bolts?

·
10,914 Posts
loctite on the bolts would be bad... they're aluminium, the part they screw into is aluminium also, and they're really easy to strip out if you have to use any real torque to break them free if stuck. As to rattling loose... I found the bolts could rattle just shaking in your hand when its off the bike, its certainly enough movement to change how the limits are set over the course of a few rides. SRAM and Sachs derailleurs which had the Al cage retaining bolt threaded into the Al outer cage have a habit of rattling them loose and you only notice its happened after its fallen out. For me, the 1 gram of plastic is worth the weight penalty if i don't have to constantly readjust my derailleur limit screws.

·
10,914 Posts
The regular square taper Turbine LP's weighed practically the same anyways and cost less. The only square taper Next LPs that were actually noticeably lighter were the prototypes and first-production batches, and the which then failed while being ridden by raceface sponsored riders and their product reps.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts