Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow I get to decide. I originally got the stumpjumper but backed out when I saw 951 trail. The LBS got the trail from their other store for me to test tomorrow.
im coming from a used 2012 giant talon hard tail. I feel like I’ll get a great bike either way. I’m leaning toward trail. I’m almost 50 and this will be my last non electric mountain bike.
I’m open to any ideas on the 2 mentioned bikes. The stumpy is the non comp allow version for 2500. The trail is 3600 at LBS. the money difference seems to be in suspension, brakes and carbon frame

·
Registered
15,273 Posts
The Talon isn't much beyond a bike path and smooth trail capable bike.
There's a lot of perforance distance between that and the bikes you've mentioned.
To make a150mm travel bike like the 951 TR fun you need the right terrain. Stuff you wouldn't ride a Talon on.
i hope you have stuff like that.
The 951 XC is 4 lbs. lighter with 120mm travel. It could be a lot more fun on a broad range of trails.
I'd take the bikes on a trail you're familair with to demo. Not a parking lot. Maybe pay to rent if necessary.
You need more ride info, imo.
You have many years of riding on capable bikes(you've had zero) before you pick electric. If ever.

The good thing is you'll be riding a very capable bike.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Talon isn't much beyond a bike path and smooth trail capable bike.
There's a lot of perforance distance between that and the bikes you've mentioned.
To make a150mm travel bike like the 951 TR fun you need the right terrain. Stuff you wouldn't ride a Talon on.
i hope you have stuff like that.
The 951 XC is 4 lbs. lighter with 120mm travel. It could be a lot more fun on a broad range of trails.
I'd take the bikes on a trail you're familair with to demo. Not a parking lot. Maybe pay to rent if necessary.
You need more ride info, imo.
You have many years of riding on capable bikes(you've had zero) before you pick electric. If ever.

The good thing is you'll be riding a very capable bike.
Great info. Thank you. There is a trail in the woods behind the bike shop so I was able to ride it and will on 951 today. I'm in Seattle so we are blessed with trail systems literally everywhere. Great state to ride. The talon has served its purpose well but like you said; It's not capable on our trail systems.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That’s what I’m leaning towards. The trail will suit me better than xc and it has longer travel better front fork. I’m 6’4 and 240. I feel like the extra travel will help. And the equipment is much better.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Note the 951 xc is always on sale at costco for 10% below msrp. At one point they had the tr as well.

Before you commit to the 951, please read the thread from the where are the deals forum on this bike, be aware of the creaking people are reporting 5rides in. If you are not afraid to get your hand greasy it is an easy fix.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Note the 951 xc is always on sale at costco for 10% below msrp. At one point they had the tr as well.

Before you commit to the 951, please read the thread from the where are the deals forum on this bike, be aware of the creaking people are reporting 5rides in. If you are not afraid to get your hand greasy it is an easy fix.
While there are trails suitable for a XC bike in the Seattle area, most of the trails here trend towards steep and chunky. Very few people ride short-travel XC bikes around here. Mid-travel and up are far more common to handle the steep roots and rocks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If short travel worked here I would probably have the Giant Trance. I picked the 951 trail. As promised here’s my experience. I went 12 miles today with a mixture of on and off road. Got a couple small jumps in and some pretty nasty roots. Got a couple smaller rock gardens. In the Seattle area there are trails and paths literally everywhere so I could do this all from my driveway.
This is my first full suspension. It was amazing. My lower back doesn’t hurt at all. My Giant hard tail would have put a strain on my back and the bike. The bike seems decently fast. It climbs well I thought. I have no shifting complaints. It was better than expected. Nx a fair bit better than the sx on the stumpy I tested.
The brakes were awesome for me. Way better than the 8 year old hard tail.
I really loved the suspension. Didn’t feel a lot of what I would have on the hard tail. I don’t have much to compare this bike to other than the stumpy. For me it was more than worth the extra $1200 to have this over the stumpy. It comes down to components and I feel like you get good value for the extra dollars.
It was a great experience for a first ride. I’ll get 20 more miles put on this weekend and give any new thoughts. As always I’m open to questions or comments.
It was a really exciting first experience for me. No longer a full suspension virgin!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thanks for the advice. I took it seriously and looked into it. Some have had issues no doubt. Didn't seem like a largely reported issue but I'm aware now thanks to you and will be watching very closely. Although early, for what I was hoping for and what I got, I'm very excited! I will be honest as I keep people updated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice. I took it seriously and looked into it. Some have had issues no doubt. Didn't seem like a largely reported issue but I'm aware now thanks to you and will be watching very closely. Although early, for what I was hoping for and what I got, I'm very excited! I will be honest as I keep people updated.
And the XC just wouldn't be the right bike for the Seattle or Pacific Northwest region. It's ruthless here!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.