Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of having 951 as my all rounder. I know many would react and suggest me of something like Uzzi VP or Slopestyle, but im looking for longer travel (due to my lowback issue) and slacker HT. How's 951 pedaling? Ive heard it light. Toying of putting a Totem on it so climbing would not be really hard, but i dont really care muscling up so double / tripple crown is an option too. Anyone riding 951 as the one bike? Thanks.

·
enjoys skidding
1,098 Posts
I know one or two members have a Totem on a 951, but I don't think it is for an all rounder bike really.

I would be interested in hearing how a single crown 951 feels in comparison to a SS2 or an Uzzi VP.

·
Shut up and RIDE!
222 Posts
no way the 951 can be an all around bike! first of all, it's heavy. 2nd, its' geo are for dh only. 3rd, no seatpost adjustability.

·
Registered
241 Posts
when you say all rounder, what type of trails are we talking? If you only do up-lift service or climb fire roads, then sure why not. If your trails have tech climbs with tight switch backs....well life could be a little tuff. I own a Socom and a 951(plus a few others, including a SS) and while i could consider owning just the Socom, I don't think I could just own the 951. My one friend had a Norco Six and a Orange 224 and sold them both and got a Uzzi and doesn;t miss the bigger or small bikes. I would consider a Uzzi with a big fork over the 951, if you really want a AM bike that is on the bigger side.

Having said that, my 951 has a solid 35.5 lbs build, with a adjustable seatpost and the HS, it would still be well under 40 and ridable to a ton of places....just i don't think tight single track would be a ton of fun.

·
Registered
181 Posts
samdemo said:
Having said that, my 951 has a solid 35.5 lbs build, with a adjustable seatpost and the HS, it would still be well under 40 and ridable to a ton of places....just i don't think tight single track would be a ton of fun.
A 951 at 35.5lbs?

My slopestyle with fox40's,saint cranks, 823's and Der Kaisers weighs in at 41.5, what's the spec?

Infact the same bike with 36's, xtr cranks, flow rims and rubberqueen/bluegroove tyres is 34.5lbs...........

·
Gnarbar
320 Posts
roel said:
Thinking of having 951 as my all rounder. I know many would react and suggest me of something like Uzzi VP or Slopestyle, but im looking for longer travel (due to my lowback issue) and slacker HT. How's 951 pedaling? Ive heard it light. Toying of putting a Totem on it so climbing would not be really hard, but i dont really care muscling up so double / tripple crown is an option too. Anyone riding 951 as the one bike? Thanks.
I wouldn't do it. Personal 2c.

Bikes are designed for a purpose in mind, weight, strength, geo etc.

You're compromising too much and the result will be....odd, so say the least.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I have both a 951 with a Boxxer World Cup and an Uzzi with a Totem and Hammerschmidt. I take both to the mountain and find that I have more fun with the flickable Uzzi doing DH runs. With that said, I don't take the 951 on my cross country rides. I have a bad back too but realistically, your butt is off the seat on the real rough stuff and the Uzzi handles the rock gardens very well. One do-it-all bike? The Uzzi.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
super super short slack seat tube? check
super low? check
super progressive, and rides deep in its travel? check
pretty much, it has everything that makes a BAD all arounder.

This is literally what the uzzi was made for. The extra inch of travel will in no way make up for what terrible things that seat angle and height will do to your back from pedalling it all day. If your trails are true DH trails and you have no other way of getting to the top? go for it. If you're planning on using it as an actual do everything bike? no fycking way.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
It can be done with any bike. I used my 951 for a do all bike for awhile. It worked great with a 66 ETA. After a bit, I just changed it into a DH rig and built up another bike.

Here is a pic with the fork locked down and the seat all the way up.

Now its a dedicated DH bike. I didnt build up another bike because it was terrible as a do all bike. I built another bike because I came across a SS for a good price.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I believe it.

stumo said:
still don't believe it.
My 951 weighs in at 37lb 2oz with some heavier parts (x9 instead of x0, heavier chainguide, tons of tire sealant...) so I don't doubt that even sub-35 is possible.

·
Registered
241 Posts
stumo said:
still don't believe it.
whats so hard to believe?

actually it was hard for me to believe too, so I borrowed DaveT's scale to double check and it was bang on.

I also have a 31.5 lbs Slope Style and a 34.1 Socom

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
anything can be done. does that make it a good idea? that's up to the end user. that 951 with the 2 stage seatpost works obviously but is putting a lot of leverage on the seatpost-tt junction that the frame wasn't designed for.

steber has mentioned in the past that one of the reasons he designed the ss2 with an interrupted seat tube was to keep people from running the bike with a lot of post exposed as a trail bike and stressing the frame beyond it's design

sure you can do it, but you could also find a bike that's built for your intended purpose. if you are not going to downhill or heavy freeride look at the 2010 canfield one as a long travel all round bike.

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/adrenaline-factory/48353-canfield-brothers-new-one-frame.html

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would recommend an Uzzi, SS2 or, if you want bags of travel, an Ellsworth Rogue.

You might be able to get it light, but that geo is going to be awful on anything other than steep DH.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine has been fine as an allrounder, 36lb with 888wc n gravity dropper, u just gotta use the low speed comp as a pro pedal and turn it in on the climbs, sure its slower on the ups but a hell of a lot more fun on the downs!
I think the point is you can pretty much use anything as a so called ''allrounder'' it just depends on how much you want too! I want too!!

·
Bike Hoor
675 Posts
Of course the 951 can be ridden as an all around bike. They all can. I just wouldn't recommend it. If you are looking for a jack of all trades bike, the Uzzi is the way to go.

Mtnbikerx... I see you are posting pictures of MY 951 and claiming it to be yours... again. STOP. That bike belongs in my garage and you damn well know it. (inside joke, he let me ride it at Mt St Anne a few weekends ago, and I was slaying the mountain on it. What a great bike. I just don't have room for it in my bed though.) He let me ride the 951 and he took the Uzzi down the hill. Amazingly, we were both faster as a result. That is why I say the Uzzi may be the weapon of choice when it comes to the silver bullet bike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Uzzi is a great bike, climbs well and then feels like a dh bike on the descents, I only wish they had welded a brace bar inbetween the upper seat stays to stiffen the rear end like the ss2 and 951 has, there is a lot of flex in the swing arm without it! still we just got back from 5 days in Morzine and the 2 we had out there are still in one piece unlike there riders!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts