Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding for years, but I've been on the same '95 soft-tail Specialized Ground Control and am out of the loop on the new components out there. I'm in desperate need for a new fork. The Rock Shox Quadra 21R fork came with the bike and it's shot. What are my options? Being an older bike, what will fit my frame? I don't want to spend a fortune on a new fork, I just want to freshen up my old ride. Any suggestions?

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
discdawg09 said:
I've been riding for years, but I've been on the same '95 soft-tail Specialized Ground Control and am out of the loop on the new components out there. I'm in desperate need for a new fork. The Rock Shox Quadra 21R fork came with the bike and it's shot. What are my options? Being an older bike, what will fit my frame? I don't want to spend a fortune on a new fork, I just want to freshen up my old ride. Any suggestions?
Fist question is, is your steerer tube 1in or 1 1/8in? I'm guessing the former. This very much limits your choices. I hope it isn't a threaded style steerer, as that will mean you'll need a new headset and a new stem, unless you have a friend with a lathe who can thread a steerer.

_MK

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
about the only new fork (as in 05-07) that wouldn't jack the head angle would a rockshox sid at 60-80mm travel.

used (ie fleabay) opens up lots more options. my favorite fork of the proper era is a marzocchi Z2. the 96-99's most models were 70mm travel, bombproof, nice action and easily rebuilt, meaning you can still get parts from marzocchi (or they'll rebuild). the Z2 would still jack up the front end a bit compared to a Quadra or rockshox judy.

PS- you're looking for a new fork, not shock. That's the bouncy thing in back ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.