Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Does anyone know where to get a 94BCD to 104BCD adapter?

I need to use a 104BCD chainring on a 94BCD spider.

Thanks,
Stephan
Interesting question, im curious to see the answer. I personally have never seen such a thing. From a theoretical standpoint it would seem easy to make. But there prob isnt much of a market for it. Is there a reason you have to adapt the ring and not just get a new ring in 94bcd? If you get really desperate, you could prob get a machinist to mill one out for you, but by that point itll be so expensive you might as well buy new cranks in 104bcd.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 94BCD spider is actually a proprietary part of the Specialized Turbo SL product line that is integral to the $8K frame. What I really need is a Shimano 12-speed Hyperglide+ chainring that fits 94BCD but no one makes that. But there are a few Shimano 104BCD rings in the aftermarket so I thought to go the path of least resistance. Starting to learn that all paths have very high resistance.

·
Single Track Mind
1,050 Posts
Is it a 4 or 5 bolt spider? There are tons of options for both. I'm not quite sure what the problem is. If you want the Specialized proprietary ring (what makes the ring proprietary?), go though a bike shop. They should be able to order it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a 4 bolt equaly spaced spider. The 94BCD spider (not the ring) is proprietary to Specialized which means I can't replace it with a different size. If you know of even just one option for a 94-104 adapter (let alone "tons") I would appreciate it very much if you would post a link. Actually please post links to as many of these adapters as you know about because offset will be the next problem I have to solve and it would be nice to have a choice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
J_Westy, thanks for the tip. I sent them this message:

94BCD 4-bolt-symmetric Shimano 12-speed Hyperglide+ chainring

Hello Garbaruk,

I am looking for a chainring to fit the Specialized Turbo SL eBike MTB's to support a Shimano 12-speed Hyperglide+ drivetrain. Specialized spider is 94BCD 4-bolt-symmetric. I would prefer 32T but 30 or 34 would work. The bikes are boost spacing (148mm axle). I am guessing anywhere from zero to 3mm offset would work.

The alternative would be if you could supply a 94BCD to 104BCD adapter.

Can you help me?

Thank you ...

·
Dab-O-Matic
1,073 Posts
J_Westy, thanks for the tip. I sent them this message:

94BCD 4-bolt-symmetric Shimano 12-speed Hyperglide+ chainring

Hello Garbaruk,

I am looking for a chainring to fit the Specialized Turbo SL eBike MTB's to support a Shimano 12-speed Hyperglide+ drivetrain. Specialized spider is 94BCD 4-bolt-symmetric. I would prefer 32T but 30 or 34 would work. The bikes are boost spacing (148mm axle). I am guessing anywhere from zero to 3mm offset would work.

The alternative would be if you could supply a 94BCD to 104BCD adapter.

Can you help me?

Thank you ...
What did you work out? I’m in the exact spot! I’ve been running a 30t because a 32t rubs ever so slightly! Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No real solution. I read some funky ideas about using a Sram PowerLock link on a Shimano chain so the original Sram chainring would work but I haven't tried it. Alternatively you could file the teeth on the Sram chainring. Not very inspiring answers. I've learned to live with all the grinding and clunking of shifting the Sram drivetrain under load.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.