Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's my latest rider. '94 S-works. This was a sentimental purchase as I've had many M2's during the 90's when I was racing. The 1st generation of M2's were great handlers but abit harsh. The S-works versions had more butting and were alittlet lighter. This '94 would be considered the 2nd generation frame. The tubing decal says M2X butting. In '97 or '98 it went to M2XX butting. It also has a replaceable rear derailleur hanger and nice Ti seatpost clamp. These 2nd generation frames were much smoother than 1st ones. I had a '98 S-works M2 and it was even more complaint. Typically this years S-works would become next years Stumpjumper. The build is all XT 8 speed components with Ringle seatpost, Ritchey Prolite bars and a frssh set of Ritchey Z-Max WCS tires. I had thoughts of upgrading the drivetrain to XTR but decided to leave the XT, it works just fine and this is how my bikes were setup in the 90's. It weighs 1/2 pound more than my P-23, at 23.8 and handles like I knew it would. Another keeper :D

My '91 M2 Stumpy, the 1st M2 you could buy. When the S-works bikes appeared in '92 it was labled M2 S-works as there were no M2 Stumpys in '92

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,286 Posts
Sweet rides, and man are they clean, do you work outside of the hours you spend cleaning?;)

A pal of mine had a dark green one, ('92 I think?) always liked that color, but that lipstick one is HOT:thumbsup:

·
Registered
725 Posts
Nice nice bikes. Nice photos too. The FSX fork looks great on the Team bike. I always loved how the red and the carbon look together.

·
artistic...
7,594 Posts
i like it a lot. that fork... is it like a mag21?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
colker1 said:
i like it a lot. that fork... is it like a mag21?
Yes, like the Mag21SL but with carbon lowers. When setup correctly they work well. Don't think there was a lighter fork in '94.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Wow, as always kb11, nice post and bikes.........digging that fork and Ti seatpost on the 94 M2..........had a chance to buy a new Stumpy in 94, but that's the year I got married.........so no dice:D

·
illuminaughty
1,651 Posts
soooooo.....

...would my Red Stumpy (1" headset) which I believe is a '95 maybe be the same as a '94 S-Works? And how about my '98? Black Stumpy Comp (1 1/8" headset), might it be the same as a 97 S-Works? Just curious, it makes sense for them to be relabled as the top model improves.

Attachments

·
artistic...
7,594 Posts
da'HOOV said:
...would my Red Stumpy (1" headset) which I believe is a '95 maybe be the same as a '94 S-Works? And how about my '98? Black Stumpy Comp (1 1/8" headset), might it be the same as a 97 S-Works? Just curious, it makes sense for them to be relabled as the top model improves.
1in headset in 95?:confused:

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
da'HOOV said:
Don't know if the '95 Stumpy used the M2X tubing but your '97 probably does. Also the '95 Stumpy still had the built in seat post clamp but got the replaceable derailleur hanger. Specialized usually used Dia Comp headsets. My '94 uses a 1 1/8" threadless.

·
illuminaughty
1,651 Posts
I'll double check the headset but the top cap sure looked like a 1"..

The '97 has M2X tubing, I'll check the '95...thanx

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'd remember that all M2s used 1 1/8" headtubes when the steel framed ones and Epics used 1" headtubes.

Those both M2s you have Ken are top notch examples! :thumbsup:

·
Neo-Retro Forever
1,576 Posts
Up 'til the mid 90's, all Specialized bikes that came with a suspension fork stock had 1 1/8 head tubes. Those with rigid forks had 1 inch head tubes. They were one of the last holdouts...

·
You down with entropy?
340 Posts
richieb said:
Up 'til the mid 90's, all Specialized bikes that came with a suspension fork stock had 1 1/8 head tubes. Those with rigid forks had 1 inch head tubes. They were one of the last holdouts...
Yep I have a 93 M2 with a rigid fork and it is 1 inch.
Mine is the green/purple fade, tha plain m2 not even the comp. Funny that KB11 points out that one years s-works was the next year's stumpjumper. His purple 92 looks just like my 93.
I do not have any pics on my work computer at the moment though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts