Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to everyone that helped me out on this build! You might have already seen my blog on it, but I know that can be a pain in the ass..."hey, go to my blog man!"....so here are the pics of the final build (and one of the start) 1994 Kona Cinder Cone - modded out with Paul Component horizontals, green metallic powder coat and the bad ass 650b Neo-Moto up front. (26'er in the aft). This beast runs like a champ...and loves the singletrack too. What a great project! Let's ride y'all!

Attachments

·
Suffering Mightily
215 Posts
Nice. You know, I kinda like the rear V with those dope Paul dropouts. You do most of your braking with the front anyway. In fact, I prefer the looks of a full v-brake setup on a single, although my current rig has discs. Either way, that is one sweet bike. Look forward to a ride report. Cheers!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
true statement sasquatch. but after the first and second ride, i can happily report it's the funnest ride i've had in years. my brain wanted to find some sort of shifter when i first started out...but 20 min into the ride, it felt like a bike i'd been on for years. the 650b is awesome up front.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the cheers drbbt! it is one dope ride and the frame mods are freakin beautiful. not just the paul drops, but also some of the other mod work he did incl moving cable stays around, griding down some bike rack holes and filling with braze and finally removing the not so necessary cantilever bosses or whatever they are called on the surly fork. i have two rides in so far...and even more time just looking at the rig up close in admiration.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
12,508 Posts
Wow, taking that bike from 0 to 100mph took vision, commitment and cash -- very nicely done.

THAT'S what a singlespeed oughta look like IMO.

--sParty

·
Registered
737 Posts
Really cool, and a bike that I'd love to ride - but then I've always had a soft spot for mid-'90's Konas :thumbsup:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks y'all! yep, it took a few months to get all the details in place. at jackspade...yeah, i was wondering when someone was going to comment on the chain. i think my pic caught the chain at it's loose spot. more riding this weekend. at sparticus, singer of song - oh yeah - it took some cash, but i wanted to do it right and because it took about 3 months to complete, it was easy to "spread out the payments"!

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
That is, simply put, the most well executed bike I have seen on here IMO. No ditch that rear tire and you got the perfect bike.

Seriously. I am extremely impressed. I just keep looking at it! HAHA

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK - no more "kitchen pics"! From a ride today in the heart of Houston - Memorial Park. Great singletrack - fast, dry and fun. Also picked up a new Kenda Nevegal or whatever they call it. Nice tire. Dropped the Shimano freewheel and put on the White Ind....no more knocking sound. All good!

Attachments

·
Ovaries on the Outside
4,425 Posts
Good to see it in a different habitat. I think youi'll like the Nev. I have the 650b Nevs and thought they were a pretty competent tire.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts