Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My newest project: 1991 Specialized Stumpjumper Epic Ultimate, 18", #3441 !

The Shimano Octalink BB will go out asap and it'll be replaced with Specialized DirectDrive Ti BB.
Parts will be Suntour XC Pro but probably with Nuke Proof hubs and XTR M900 cassette.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
725 Posts
damn. I think this is the bike I would post in that "which VRC'ers bike do you most want?" Please keep us updated with pics and info!

·
VRC Illuminati
17,648 Posts
Ah, the eBay special. Nice.

That's a nice one.

You're not keeping the Ringle post in it are you?

Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rumpfy said:
Ah, the eBay special. Nice.

That's a nice one.

You're not keeping the Ringle post in it are you?

Looking forward to seeing the finished product!
Yeah, a very nice frame! Too bad it's got a little short toptube (~560mm).

I'm trying to find black IRD post for it...

BTW: Does anyone know who many of the ti lugged Ultimates were produced ?

·
artistic...
7,602 Posts
get a post w/ setback. an xt or xtr, maybe xc pro. the shallow seat angle plus a low handlebar position will give you room.
the ird, besides being rare has no setback.

·
Illuminati
1,729 Posts
Archangel said:
Yeah, a very nice frame! Too bad it's got a little short toptube (~560mm).

I'm trying to find black IRD post for it...

BTW: Does anyone know who many of the ti lugged Ultimates were produced ?
Its looking very nice Kai :D

cambriabike.com are selling american classic titanium layback seatposts for a reasonable price :) (& no I dont work for them...its a long commute from wales ;) EDIT, scrub that, no longer listed! :( EDIT

in the specialized anniversary book specialized reckoned on around 1500 ultimate frames & around 2000 steel lug epic frames.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually I have one Am Classic Ti post but I had planned to use that in S-Works for I have Specialized Ti stem for it and thought that they could match pretty well...

·
The MTB Lab
2,556 Posts
Here is another oldie Epic, the Ultimate frameset from 1992/1993, its carbon fiber tubes with titanium lugs, handmade, very pricey for its day, the titanium lugs were made by Merlin. The paint job is very cool, its a Burgundy color on the 3 main tubes and the rear triangle is green, it has a 3-D depth to it, a bit holographic, hard to capture in a picture

It used to be a hardtail but its tough to find 1 inch steerer forks anymore.

EDIT: 19 inch frame, #7930, I think there were only a couple hundred of the frames made, they barely broke even on the frames, Merlin charged them a pretty hefty fee to make the Ti lugs

Attachments

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
pastajet said:
Here is another oldie Epic, the Ultimate frameset from 1992/1993, its carbon fiber tubes with titanium lugs, handmade, very pricey for its day, the titanium lugs were made by Merlin. The paint job is very cool, its a Burgundy color on the 3 main tubes and the rear triangle is green, it has a 3-D depth to it, a bit holographic, hard to capture in a picture

EDIT: 19 inch frame, #7930, I think there were only a couple hundred of the frames made, they barely broke even on the frames, Merlin charged them a pretty hefty fee to make the Ti lugs

That is a nice looking bike, but I sure hope that isn't a Zoom stem on it. Doesn't give a bike like that justice.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,648 Posts
pastajet said:

Then you should recognize this frame...the fork is on the front of your bike. ;)

·
The MTB Lab
2,556 Posts
Yes, I am now embarrassed it is a Zoom stem, been spending all my free money on my Ibis Mojo instead, now I need to replace the Zoom...ugh

E Man the bike looks sweet! Very nice build. Glad FedEx didn't crater that frame!

·
VRC Illuminati
17,648 Posts
pastajet said:
E Man the bike looks sweet! Very nice build. Glad FedEx didn't crater that frame!

I've been really happy with it. Came out great, it's light weight yet still almost all period correct.

If you ever want to swap forks...you know how to get a hold of me. ;)

And yeah...FedEx...that was a stressful couple of weeks. :nonod:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The work progresses... :D
All XC Pro except Specialized Ti BB and QRs. Got that IRD seatpost too (Thanks Harzkristall ! :thumbsup: ).
Still missing brakes (Dia-Compe 986), grips (Grab-On MTN-2) and cables (Suntour/Dia-Compe).

·
VRC Illuminati
17,648 Posts
Archangel said:
The work progresses... :D
All XC Pro except Specialized Ti BB and QRs. Got that IRD seatpost too (Thanks Harzkristall ! :thumbsup: ).
Still missing brakes (Dia-Compe 986), grips (Grab-On MTN-2) and cables (Suntour/Dia-Compe).
Looking good!

(needs tan wall tires too! ;) )

·
artistic...
7,602 Posts
pastajet said:
Yes, I am now embarrassed it is a Zoom stem, been spending all my free money on my Ibis Mojo instead, now I need to replace the Zoom...ugh

but the zoom is lighter than the specialized team edition chromoly stem that frame was usually built with.. and high end treks back then came w/ the zoom. it's a good part. it's just not as trendy as a salsa.

·
The MTB Lab
2,556 Posts
I got it as a frameset so it didn't come with anything. It was my main mtn bike for over a decade so it has gone through a lot of part changes. Had a Rock Shock Mag21 SL until it kicked the bucket. Since the shock was threadless I had a very sweet Ibis Ti stem. I sold it to help pay for my new full suspension bike. Now my Epic is my training and commuting bike. Much prefer the XTR rapidfire shifting compared to the old Suntour stuff, but its not vintage! Same for the XTR V brakes compared to the old Diacompe's.:thumbsup:

EDIT: spelling and typo's fixed

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
colker1 said:
but the zoom is lighter than the specialized team edition chromoly stem that frame was usually built with.. and high end treks back then came w/ the zoom. it's a good part. it's just not as trendy as a salsa.

Sure, they were light and functional but having a $30 stem on a 2000 dollar frame is just depressing. But you are right, the did work well.

·
The MTB Lab
2,556 Posts
Ouch, what is with the Zoom stem? Its functional and I happened to own it, I had no other quill stem, not like I can go down to the LBS and ask for a nice quill stem for a 1 inch steerer. If I would find anything it would be another cheapy.

So what do you recommend then? Since the frame did not come with a stem and I had a aheadset shock set up I never had a quill stem installed until I dumped the shock. I had the spare Zoom sitting around. I did have a old Ritchey stem (Nitto) at one time but the reach was to much for my taste.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts