Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 91 Tequesta that I want to get up and running again. It has u-brake mounts in the back. Will any u-brake work? I've got extra ones laying around from my 20" bikes (odyssey evolvers).

Also, it thas the stock wheels on it. Anyone know off the top of their head if its a freewheel or cassette (it's suntour). I'm thinking about going single speed and am hoping its a cassette for an easy swap.

·
brain donor
437 Posts
Any U brake will work, but check ebay and you can probably get an original shimano one for only a few bucks. The U-II slr versions with the integral brake booster are the best..

Being a '91 it's almost certainly cassette. Suntour cogs are not interchangeable with Shimano however, so you'll probably have to re-use one of your existing cogs and don't expect many off the shelf ss bits to fit right on.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Dia-Compe U-brake

If your old BMX u-brake doesn't work (it should, but just in case), Dia-Compe USA still makes a pretty nice U-brake. The model # is AD990 and comes in silver or black. I know several parts suppliers stock these so your LBS could probably order one for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.