Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy I just got this old fisher that I am building up as a single speed. I seem to be having problems mounting the rear wheel. The non drive dropout fits the axle no problem, but the drive side/Derailer hanger side is narrow. The axle width wise is fine but diameter wise the axle does not slide into the dropout. I was considering filing down the side (insides) of the dropout is this a wise Idea. I guess I could also bend the hanger back a little to widen the dropout but I am planning to hang a chain tensoiner on there.
Any suggestions

Attachments

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
chruby99 said:
Hey guy I just got this old fisher that I am building up as a single speed. I seem to be having problems mounting the rear wheel. The non drive dropout fits the axle no problem, but the drive side/Derailer hanger side is narrow. The axle width wise is fine but diameter wise the axle does not slide into the dropout. I was considering filing down the side (insides) of the dropout is this a wise Idea. I guess I could also bend the hanger back a little to widen the dropout but I am planning to hang a chain tensoiner on there.
Any suggestions
It probably got dropped on the der. hanger and bent it in. I would just open it back up a bit. Should be fine.

·
VRC Hound
4,275 Posts
FB: the Fisher dropouts do seem to be smaller. Check out the picture, sorry that it is poor. It shoes a Tange Cro-Mo fork and a Fisher Evolution fork. You can see that the diameter of the inside of the dropout is noticably smaller on the Fisher fork and it is consistent on both legs. I think that this might have been a poor design.

Attachments

·
'Calm Down'
855 Posts
That appears to be a 1987 (do to the color and rear brake placement). I had one just like it.

It looks like the hanger got bent in and closed up the dropout. Just take an adjustable wrench to it and open it back up a bit.

jw

chruby99 said:
Any suggestions

·
Registered
301 Posts
I had a frame like this, just green in a larger size. Sold it to a friend who still rides it. In fact, I think he's bringing it on a 6 day tour we are doing next week into the Alpine country. (Summer in Oz here).
He used it in a 24 hour race we did a couple of years ago and won a new Kona for having ridden the race on the oldest bike there.

I always like how you can ping the top tube cause it's free of braze-ons.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.