Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Sashto
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have what I believe is a 91 model Ascent frame which was a warranty replacement for a frame I cracked back in 91. It's in splatter Blue and I haven't been able to find any others in a similar colour scheme(sold in the UK). I'm now embarking on the second rebuild as I use it as an hour long quick XC ride at lunch bike.

So a few questions, if anyone can help.

Is it a 91 model?
I think it's a 68 mm bottom bracket but can anyone confirm?
Anyone know what the seatpost sizing, is 27.2 or 27?
Has anyone tried running 80mm suspension on this vintage ascent and if so what are your experiences.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Sashto said:
I'll take some tomorrow
Those will help in case somoene else has one like it and remembers when they bought it. We also just plain like photos here.

As another option, you can date the components, if at least some of them are original. This site should help:

http://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm

Finally, posting your bike's serial number might help. I haven't seen anyone claim to be able to decipher DB numbers yet, but you'll sometimes find obvious clues, like a two-digit year, etc.

·
Sashto
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had to bring my bike back from work to take pictures.

It was originally equipped with Avenir branded bars, stem, seatpost and saddle and a Biopace 400 DX(?) groupset. The forks aren't original and are I think Rock Shox Mag 25 with Magnesium legs. I've also attached pictures of my part rebuilt 2001 Orange Sub 5 - just the forks to go which will be switched to the ascent.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Looks nice! It certainly could be a 1991 - the decals are pretty close to my '91 Axis, as is the splatter paint, which was an early 90s thing. Though you have v-brakes on it, it has canti hangers, which generally mean pre-1996.

Not sure about the BB size - you may want to pick up a reasonably-priced caliper to take measurements, that way you can guarantee you're buying the right parts when you change something.

Enjoy!

EDIT: The DX components also point to early 90s. Those were only around for a few years, though they're quite nice.

·
Sashto
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought the original in '91 which had a white splatter frame and advertised as a 2000 model. I promptly snapped the frame and they replaced it with the blue one in the pictures, hence why i was wondering whether they replaced it with the '91 frame.

As you can tell from the pics the only original items are the toe clips.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.