Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running a 90mm 7 degree rise 1.5" steer clamp 31.8 bar clamp stem from my Specialized bike on my Mary with some Easton EA50 Lo-Rise bars and really like the fit that I've dialed in. However, this stem is kinda ugly (prolly kinda heavy too :eekster: ) and needs to go back on my other bike.

Any suggestions for similar spec stem? I'm looking for lighter (not weight weenie though) and good strength (I bail sometimes :D ) stem that won't break the bank, looked at Thomson (upper end of what I want to spend) and Easton EA50. What do you suggest and why?

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Aight been looking around and think I'm going Easton EA50 or EA70....seems EA70 maybe better for SS because the bar clamp bolts are farther apart to better deal with the load put on it when pulling on the bars to make that climb?

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Almost any stem will be more than strong enough, more money really just buys you a lighter stem. In fact, most stems are forged and this actually makes them stronger than the high end Thomsons which are machined. Easton, Truvativ, FSA, Ritchey, Race Face, etc... they're all great so don't worry about it too much. Any of those stems should be set and forget for as long as you own the bike. I have a small collection of Truvativ stems because a <$20 forged stem that is actually decent on weight is hard to pass up.

I noticed that Speedgoat has a lot of their stems on sale right now if you're interested.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.