Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 909 Posts

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
Yes. You just have to change out the bottom half of the head set and race to an EC 44/40.
Also had to buy a new front wheel, 15mm thru axle hub.
I think some of the 2012 had a 44mm head tube and others had a head tube that would only accept 1-1/8" forks. Hopefully yours has the 44mm head tube.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
So...without going nuts with the Google fu, does anyone know if the race face 170mm spaced cranks fit on the 197 whiteout aluminum frames??
I just cracked my other frame, and immediately ordered one of the purple frames they are blowing out. But now I may have to get weird on some new cranks too....

·
bigger than you.
3,070 Posts
So...without going nuts with the Google fu, does anyone know if the race face 170mm spaced cranks fit on the 197 whiteout aluminum frames??
I just cracked my other frame, and immediately ordered one of the purple frames they are blowing out. But now I may have to get weird on some new cranks too....
Yes, but as a 1x, with the ring on the outermost part of the crank, there's about 5mm clearance between the crank and the chainsaws on each side. Not sure it the chain line works with raceface cinch cranks.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Yes, but as a 1x, with the ring on the outermost part of the crank, there's about 5mm clearance between the crank and the chainsaws on each side. Not sure it the chain line works with raceface cinch cranks.
Yeah, I have a set of 170 spaced cinch cranks on my bike now, which is a 197, with the sprocket flipped outwards. I guess I'll have to roll the dice on this one.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yeah, I have a set of 170 spaced cinch cranks on my bike now, which is a 197, with the sprocket flipped outwards. I guess I'll have to roll the dice on this one.
That has been documented to work and they sell bikes with that setup. I run a 170 Turbine cinch setup on mine. I can't remember if I bought additional 2.5x30mm crank spacers(not BB) or they came with the crank, but I know I run one on the drive side to get my chain line exactly how I want it. Having a couple of 1mm and 2.5mm would be a good idea to have around just in case, but not necessary.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
That has been documented to work and they sell bikes with that setup. I run a 170 Turbine cinch setup on mine. I can't remember if I bought additional 2.5x30mm crank spacers(not BB) or they came with the crank, but I know I run one on the drive side to get my chain line exactly how I want it. Having a couple of 1mm and 2.5mm would be a good idea to have around just in case, but not necessary.
'Preciate man.

·
bigger than you.
3,070 Posts
Mine had the older version Race Face Turbines on it, with a single spacer on the non drive side of the BB, and 1 2.5mm & 1 1mm spacer on the drive side, but zero spindle spacers.

·
turtles make me hot
11,506 Posts
My frame is back from powder coat. It looks fantastic. I'll post pics on Tuesday. I can only do it from work.
I got the adapters for the rear hub, post style brake mounts and a new Salsa 150mm front hub. All I have to do is find time to unlace the 135 out of the front wheel and lace in the 150. I think it's going to rain on Tuesday and Wednesday. Perfect time to make the swap.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Mines new to me this year. Loving it more each time I ride. I started the season with the mindset of passing time until I could ride my trail bike again now I don't want winter to ever end!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
turtles make me hot
11,506 Posts
Hempstead-20160213-00859.jpg

Picture doesn't do the color justice. It looks great.

I tried to get custom decals made up yesterday but the decal guy doesn't work Mondays. All I got left is re lace the front wheel onto the Salsa hub.

·
turtles make me hot
11,506 Posts
It's Granny Smith Apple from Prismatic Powders. Looks exactly like Ventana's Grinch Green.

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
It's Granny Smith Apple from Prismatic Powders. Looks exactly like Ventana's Grinch Green.
Nice! I've got Prismatic Illusion Sour Apple planned for my Krampus, thought the name was appropriate for the bike. Also have Prismatic illusion Malbec for my Karate Monkey.

·
turtles make me hot
11,506 Posts
Illusion Sour Apple was one of the front runners. It was a 45 dollar difference because they had the Granny Smith in stock. I'm happy with it.

41 - 60 of 909 Posts