Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older bike that I recently upgraded from the old canti's to XT V-brakes. They work great, but now I need to buy new shifters. The old shifters were comined with the canti brake levers.

The bike is running an 8-speed LX rear derailleur.

I can't seem to find 8-speed shifters for sale anywhere. Can I use the new 9-speed shifers with my 8-speed LX derailleur?

Please advise!

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
tatemononai said:
I have an older bike that I recently upgraded from the old canti's to XT V-brakes. They work great, but now I need to buy new shifters. The old shifters were comined with the canti brake levers.

I can't seem to find 8-speed shifters for sale anywhere. Can I use the new 9-speed shifers with my 8-speed LX derailleur?

Please advise!
Should work ok. 9sp chain is narrower so it should run thru the deraillerur. Might not be real crisp shifting though. Try it, what do you have to loose?
The 9sp shifters won't work on the 8sp cassette. You'll need a new 9sp cassette.

8 Speed Shifters:
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/SL707A02-Sram+Rocket+Twist+Shifters.aspx
http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=LD8884

·
Registered
50 Posts
tatemononai said:

Please advise!
SRAM still has some 8 speed grip-shifters.

·
Live 2 Ride
6,185 Posts
Shimano still makes 8-speed shifters as well. Heck I have a few sets lying around the house and one of those sets I bought at a LBS recently. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.