Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at upgrading my current p.o.s. 8-speed crankset to a Race Face Ride XC with the 22-32-44 ring config. I have a shimano 8-speed cassette in the rear with a shimano deore long cage derailleur. My chain is SRAM and isn't super tight, it has some slack. I'm thinking it might be a 8/9 speed specific chain. I just want to be sure that I can use the 44-tooth outer ring with my 8-speed rear cassette.
Thanks,
Josh

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Nothing makes a crankset specific to eight or nine speeds. The chainring to chainring spacing is the same (5mm) and the chainring tooth thickness is the same (outside of some wierd specific purpose chainrings).

The only reason that the ring/cog combinatinations would or would not work would be chain length. If your chain is long enough to work with the big/big combo...you are set.

I should add, that if your cassette and chain are significantly worn, that may cause problems with the new, non-worn chainrings.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses. I shifted into the big/big combo with my current 42-t ring like davep said, and the rear derailleur was pulled forward a little. I read somewhere that you should never ride in the big/big combo because of the bad chain angle, and whenever I shift into the highest gear, which is rare, I am in gears 5-8 in the rear, so I don't think I need to worry. Jenson is having a closeout sale on the crankset for only $70 with race face's external bottom bracket included, and my current bb and crankset are total garbage, so I think I'm gonna go for the deal. I i figure I can always just buy a SRAM 9-sp chain for 15 bucks if it doesn't work.
Thanks for your help,
Josh

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
if you go into a bike shop, all the 8 speed bikes will have 9 speed cranks.

Jenson is having a closeout sale on the crankset for only $70 with race face's external bottom bracket included
wow thats a steal! i ran that crank for a season, it never let me down.. actually liked it quite a bit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.