Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

42,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have yet to see a 9 speed RD offered in the clutch design but I have to think that somebody here or somewhere has figured out how to exchange parts from a 10 speed clutch type RD onto a 9 speed RD or transformed a 10 speed clutch type RD into a 9 speed to make it work. Please tell me it's possible.

· Registered
4,502 Posts
^That's about all I'm aware of as well. With 11-speed becoming so popular, 10-speed will eventually fade, as 9-speed is. Same thing is happening in the road scene, except 9-speed is nearly extinct. I've actually heard someone with 11-speed Ultegra make fun of someone with 10-speed Ultegra. :nonod:

· Registered
184 Posts
That's interesting, I had assumed because of SRAM's 1:1 design, any RD could work with a smaller range shifter, but not vise versa. The overall travel (L-R) has to be wide enough to cover the cassette, but I thought a lower speed shifter would simply move in larger increments.

· NedwannaB
12,571 Posts
That's interesting, I had assumed because of SRAM's 1:1 design, any RD could work with a smaller range shifter, but not vise versa. The overall travel (L-R) has to be wide enough to cover the cassette, but I thought a lower speed shifter would simply move in larger increments.
Right. Wait! Whaaaaaat? I think I get your thinking: 8-9-10 spd cassette widths are the same so why couldn't a 10 spd derailleur swing the range governed by the 8 or 9 spd shifter over the 8 or 9 spd cogs. Not the case tho without close pull ratios. And FWIW, SRAM isn't actually 1:1. More like 1:1.18 (or vice verse) I heard. That's where the close ratio of the new(r) Shimano 10spd Shadow + Dynasis comes into play as Slash noted.

· Registered
3,777 Posts
Actually now that I think of it, someone said that the cam shaped thing that guides the cable into a SRAM rear derailleur seems to be shaped differently and seems to be the difference in 9 and 10 speed derailleurs.
I saw something where they swapped the cams (said they are riveted on) and it worked 9 speed. Course you are going to have to destroy a 9 speed and 10 speed derailleur to try it. Unless you have them sitting around probably almost as cost effective to buy the shifter and cassette - and a lot safer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.