Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
GONE
25,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have yet to see a 9 speed RD offered in the clutch design but I have to think that somebody here or somewhere has figured out how to exchange parts from a 10 speed clutch type RD onto a 9 speed RD or transformed a 10 speed clutch type RD into a 9 speed to make it work. Please tell me it's possible.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
The 10 speed Shimano Shadow plus derailleur can be made to work with a 9 speed SRAM shifter. Takes some fiddling around but will work.
2 or 3 big threads here on it with all the details.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
^That's about all I'm aware of as well. With 11-speed becoming so popular, 10-speed will eventually fade, as 9-speed is. Same thing is happening in the road scene, except 9-speed is nearly extinct. I've actually heard someone with 11-speed Ultegra make fun of someone with 10-speed Ultegra. :nonod:

·
Registered
184 Posts
That's interesting, I had assumed because of SRAM's 1:1 design, any RD could work with a smaller range shifter, but not vise versa. The overall travel (L-R) has to be wide enough to cover the cassette, but I thought a lower speed shifter would simply move in larger increments.

·
NedwannaB
12,765 Posts
That's interesting, I had assumed because of SRAM's 1:1 design, any RD could work with a smaller range shifter, but not vise versa. The overall travel (L-R) has to be wide enough to cover the cassette, but I thought a lower speed shifter would simply move in larger increments.
Right. Wait! Whaaaaaat? I think I get your thinking: 8-9-10 spd cassette widths are the same so why couldn't a 10 spd derailleur swing the range governed by the 8 or 9 spd shifter over the 8 or 9 spd cogs. Not the case tho without close pull ratios. And FWIW, SRAM isn't actually 1:1. More like 1:1.18 (or vice verse) I heard. That's where the close ratio of the new(r) Shimano 10spd Shadow + Dynasis comes into play as Slash noted.

·
Registered
984 Posts
10 speed cassettes are actually thinner than 9 speeds. Hence the occasional need for a 1mm cassette spacer with 10 speed cassettes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Actually now that I think of it, someone said that the cam shaped thing that guides the cable into a SRAM rear derailleur seems to be shaped differently and seems to be the difference in 9 and 10 speed derailleurs.
I saw something where they swapped the cams (said they are riveted on) and it worked 9 speed. Course you are going to have to destroy a 9 speed and 10 speed derailleur to try it. Unless you have them sitting around probably almost as cost effective to buy the shifter and cassette - and a lot safer.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Between the spline shoulder and the largest cog. If your cassette has some wiggle to it even with the lock ring torqued down the spacer fixes it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts