Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Is any one using 10 speed on their tandems or is it not robust enough? I would like a clutch mech on my next build and they only seem to come with 10 speed.
We have been using 10 speed for the past 3-4 years. Two different tandems. No issues. We are a lightish team (270 lbs) and put a lot of miles on the mtb tandems.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

·
Registered
109 Posts
We've been running 10-speed as well. Originally with an XT cassette, then the SRAM X0 (pinned) & XX cassettes. We're also a lightish team (270-280, depending upon our recent beer & ice cream intake), but also put on a good amount of miles in less than ideal, wet German weather.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Pull ratio is different on Shimano 10 spd mtb RD. If you want 9 spd clutched RD then you have to use a shimano clutch RD in conjunction with a SRAM 9 spd (1:1) shifter. You may need a small 5mm spacer at the derailleur cable clamp if you shifting doesn't index perfectly.
So what you're saying is that................The pull ratio on the 10 speed Shimano is 1:1, and that you need the Sram 1:1 shifter to operate a Shimano RD. I thought that ALL Shimano RD's were 2:1 pull ratio.

Either I've completely misunderstood your post, or It's wrong information..............:confused:

EDIT: After seeing the post below, and doing some Googling it, does appear that TigWorld is correct about the pull ratio's and compatibilities.........my apologies.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
So what you're saying is that................The pull ratio on the 10 speed Shimano is 1:1, and that you need the Sram 1:1 shifter to operate a Shimano RD. I thought that ALL Shimano RD's were 2:1 pull ratio.

Either I've completely misunderstood your post, or It's wrong information..............:confused:
Shimano MTB 10-sp uses a different pull ratio and is not compatible with any other Shimano derailleur or shifter.

·
MTB Tandem Nut
727 Posts
SRAM 9 and 10 speed derailleurs both use 1:1 pull ratios, and Shimano uses 2:1. So I don't see why you couldn't use a 10 speed SRAM Type 2 rear derailleur with a 9 speed SRAM shifter, unless something else is going on. We don't use Shimano stuff unless specifically requested by the customer, so I don't know if the 10 speed Shimano stuff is different, but if it's not 2:1 like the rest of Shimano, that's news to me.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
SRAM 9 and 10 speed derailleurs both use 1:1 pull ratios, and Shimano uses 2:1. So I don't see why you couldn't use a 10 speed SRAM Type 2 rear derailleur with a 9 speed SRAM shifter, unless something else is going on. We don't use Shimano stuff unless specifically requested by the customer, so I don't know if the 10 speed Shimano stuff is different, but if it's not 2:1 like the rest of Shimano, that's news to me.
Actually, no. SRAM 9-sp and 10-sp RDs use different cable pull ratios. Can not use a 9-sp shifter with a 10-sp RD or vice versa.

The 1:1 ratio (and the Shimano 2:1) is a marketing approximation, not a precise description.

All of this has been discussed ad nauseam over several years on the drivetrain board

·
MTB Tandem Nut
727 Posts
I stand corrected on this. We had built up a 9 speed bike with the 10 speed T2 derailleur, and it seemed to shift fine, but a discussion with the SRAM tech folks confirms what's stated above. SRAM seems to be following Shi*mano in the non-compatibility direction nowadays.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.