Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys i'm a newb and i'm sure you need more information but i'm doing a 9 mile trail tomorrow morning and just need some sort of guesstimate on how long it should take. I believe some categorized it as intermediate trail. I attached a map of the park and i'll be doing the 9 mile crooked creek trail (in pink). If anyone could help me out I would appreciate it.

http://www.fl-dof.com/state_forests/sf_pdf/trail_walker_trotter_maps/pine_log_tw.pdf

·
Tough Guy Extraordinaire
601 Posts
Anywhere from 30 mintutes to 4 hours. Really depends on the amount of climbing and the type of terrian, i.e. rolling singletrack vs. rocky baby-heads. Ride it for yourself and try to get faster each time. This is really the best way to judge.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok...your right I will just have to try it out. I'm just trying to decide what time to get up tomorrow and make sure I get back home before work. I don't think there's very much climbing. It's here in the panhandle of Florida so not to hilly.

·
1,534 Posts
52:31 if all conditions are ideal, your FTP is 201 watts with a weight of 175lbs and you go at a moderate pace

56:19 if it's raining out

56:45 if its raining and you have to stop for more than 2 hikers

1:05:32 if you flat

2:32:09 if you break a chain exactly halfway through and forget your chain tool

·
Registered
246 Posts
if you're planning on how much to pack or what not... I usually guesstimate off how fast i can walk, depending on terrain. for example, if it takes you an hour to cover 3-4 miles, then 9 miles could be anywhere between a 2-3 hr ride. not really saying that's how long it's gonna be, more of a precaution so you don't pack too much or too little or if you have to walk out or something...

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Figure out how long it takes you to ride a mile, then multiply that by 9. Seriously though, do you really expect complete strangers to know how long it will take you to ride the trail?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pop_martian said:
Seriously though, do you really expect complete strangers to know how long it will take you to ride the trail?
Of course I don't expect people to know how fast I would trail but I did want Guesstimates on how fast people trailed 9 miles in which posters did tell, thank you also for the info on times previous posters

·
Registered
476 Posts
proudrcf said:
Of course I don't expect people to know how fast I would trail but I did want Guesstimates on how fast people trailed 9 miles in which posters did tell, thank you also for the info on times previous posters
If you keep a overall pace of 9 MPH, you should expect an hour ride (obviously).

if you add extra rest and harder terrain and it causes your overall speed to drop add extra time.

Being that you are new, expect an 1 1/2 hours. Think of it this way though, you are in the wood and riding a bike. It will be fun. When you are done, so is the fun. Why rush it?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I as an out of shape noob do a local hilly 10.7 mile trail in a little over 2 hours. Everyone is different and it sounds like you will encounter less hills than I do.

That wasn't so hard to give a simple answer w/o being a smartass.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
It takes me about 2 hours to do a 8 mile loop that has a extremely up hill in the middle with of course a down hill back into the rolling flats. It takes my friends a lot less, knock off a half hour if your in good shape which I am not.

·
yeah, uh............bikes
2,712 Posts
Good luck on the ride, gonna be a cold morning! I don't know how long it will take you to ride the trail, but it's never a bad thing to overestimate and give yourself plenty of time.

Gonna need a ride report for the trail system too, never heard of Pine Log before.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If all goes well on the ride you should finish the ride in less then 1.5 hrs if your in good shape. If you are in great shape it should take less then 70 minutes. If your in terrible shape it will probably take about 2 to 2.5 hours. Any more then 2.5 hours you should have worked harder and rode faster.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.