Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
aka Suicidedownhiller
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a maufacturer of 9 to 12 inch travel forks for under 1000$. Risse is too expensive and hanebrink is WAYYYYY to expensive. Are there any other brands?

·
Bum Buzzer
1,992 Posts
skyjumper said:
my current 180mm forks bottom out alot on the 7 ft drops and the 15 ft ones hurt bad now...
tune it!! Do you weigh 400lbs? I am no Wade simmons but I do 8-10' on my HT with a 5" fork and buter smooth - granted at 6'8" I have a lot of natural suspension but...

Not meant to be a dig, but wither you need to tune your suspension, or asjust your technique.

More travel doesn't necessarily absorb impacts/work better - quality damping and proper setup make all the difference in the world. A poorly setup, hi end fork like a 40 can work like a POS next to a properly setup Pike on the same trail. (or drop!)

More travel WILL make your bike more sluggish and harder to manhandle.

If you just need burly - go for a PROPERLY set up Monster T.

·
Old No. 7
1,453 Posts
skyjumper said:
my current 180mm forks bottom out alot on the 7 ft drops and the 15 ft ones hurt bad now...
Trust me man, you DON'T need a 9in fork. You've ridden with me, you've seen how big I am. Do I ride a 9in fork? I rairly bottom my fork... What you need to do is properly tune your fork, stop dropping to flat, or buy a decent fork that is 6-8in. Come up to me this weekend at Fontana and I'll mess with you settings and check out your fork.

·
aka Suicidedownhiller
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know I don't need it but I am looking at this 25 ft drop with a curious eye lately....Fred, my fork has no external adjustments but I will come talk to you at fontana, where are you going to be at?

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Any oil dampened fork can be tuned. A higher viscosity will add compression dampening and slow the rebound.

Do some research. Most upper end forks have compression dampening, even high and low speed compression dampening.

·
Old No. 7
1,453 Posts
skyjumper said:
I know I don't need it but I am looking at this 25 ft drop with a curious eye lately....Fred, my fork has no external adjustments but I will come talk to you at fontana, where are you going to be at?
If you have no external adjustments take it to a shop, I'm relutant to say Beyond Bikes, but they can do it, actually, call UC Cyclery and talk to Steve, he may be able to help you.
If I'm not riding I'll prob. be sitting at the Rogue booth.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Do some research. All the manufacturer websites list adjustability.

There is no way we can make a recommendation not knowing what you have, how you ride, SC or DC, brands you prefer, or your budget.

·
Equal opportunity meanie
2,781 Posts
888/66 RC2X, 888/66 RC from '05, Super T, Shiver DC, Monster T, Boxxer WC or Team, I don't know wtf RS's single-crown offerings are yet, Fox 40 RC2. Anything with an oil damper will be really easy to adjust (even if it means just popping off the top cap and dropping some oil into the thing) and the upper tier of downhill forks and sc forks have external compression adjustments. Just look around.

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
2,664 Posts
just put some more fork oil in there and voila! no more bottoming!

but seriously, you weigh like 100lbs, are you sure you're bottoming it?

·
aka Suicidedownhiller
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
omg, do you guys need to see a video? Yes my fork bottoms eaiser than Bob's on the clutch! and the oil levels are very high...I also have no sag so its very stiff...and it is usally because of the hieght of the cliff and not because of my style, but an other problem is that I am only 5' 3 and do not have very much suspenison in my arms and legs...

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.