Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
Hey, you guys remember that guy that was trying set the land speed record on a MTB?
He was flyin down the side of some volcano - 100-somthin miles an hour - I wonder what brakes he was usin...
you probably know that on his second pass he never got the chance to use them, what ever they were.:eek:

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
highdelll said:
Hey, you guys remember that guy that was trying set the land speed record on a MTB?
He was flyin down the side of some volcano - 100-somthin miles an hour - I wonder what brakes he was usin...
you probably know that on his second pass he never got the chance to use them, what ever they were.:eek:
Was that the same guy wih some unknown size of 1" headset?

·
Anti-Outsourcer
319 Posts
I can lock up both wheels with 6" rotors running super-knobbies on tacky dirt... what in the world would a 9" rotor be good for?!?
I doubt it would be a heat issue. I mean, if a person has heat problems with an 8" rotor on a 4+ piston brake, they must have terrible braking technique lol.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Not worth it...........

Unless you are traveling at Mach One speeds down the hill and weigh 300 pounds, I don't see it.

I weigh 215 armored up and I am running 203/185 rotors with 4 piston disc brakes F&R on my DH bike and I am never looking at something in front of my goggles that I am just about to smack because I couldn't stop.

Tire size/type, riding technique, and speed control will go a lot farther to making you feel more confident/comfortable about stopping than 9" rotors.

This setup would also make it difficult to travel around and make repairs should you need to replace a part of this type of setup.

·
Registered
702 Posts
braking distance

Actually no.Forget rotor size.You can lock up any decent working brake.It's a matter of how much force is applied at the lever.Yeh,there is a heat issue.But you would have to be pretty heavy going straight down really fast for quite a while for the need for that large of a rotor.
I should talk.I got a 210 mm front and 180mm rear.That being said,I have over heated a 180/160 combo and suffered serious fading.BTW,brakes are Magura Louise FR '06.I love them.Easy 1 finger braking.Underline EASY.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.