Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
yakusarider said:
which would you guys prefer 8 speed or 9 speed pro cons on this

right now my bike has a 8 speed thinking about going 9
fyi- there's been a number of threads on this.

IMHO, it depends on your riding conditions... 9spd is more finicky to keep in good shifting shape, especially if you ride in mucky conditions.
9spd parts are available at all levels, but it's getting hard to find some of the 8spd stuff (ie xtr shifters). NOS 8spd XT shifters r still readily available though as well as xtr cassettes.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
yakusarider said:
which would you guys prefer 8 speed or 9 speed pro cons on this

right now my bike has a 8 speed thinking about going 9
Unless you need a 34 tooth low gear, stay with 8 speed. It shifts better under all conditions and the chains are cheaper. You may want to buy a spare set of shifters, since they will get harder to find.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Let the flame war begin.

I prefer 9 speed because the options are better and the products are of higher quality(as no one has developed anything new for 8 speed in 10 years). I switched to 8 speed last summer because I had bent a couple of 28T cogs on XT cassettes. No problems thus far but its only been a couple of months.

·
Registered
9,592 Posts
9 speed not an "upgrade"

Yes, it does offer a 34 cog but I prefer my 8 speed 12-32 cog choice more, even with all the climbing I do here in Colorado. My riding buddies prefer the 34 because they say they can stay in middle chain ring longer, but I'm in my granny more. Too bad there isn't a complete 8 speed lineup of parts to choose from because apart from the 34 cog I don't see 9 speed as an upgrade. All you then get is some worthless extra 12 or 13 extra cog down there for spinning. I'm actually changing my 9 speed bike to 8 speed like my other bikes. BTW, my 9 speed shifted just fine, but my 8 speeds have always shifted fine as well. It helps that I have extra 3-ti 12-32 XTR cassettes laying around for a 2 oz weight savings.

Like somebody above said, you do get a much wider selection of 9 speed stuff from different manufacturers if that's a concern, but once I dial in my 8 speed drivetrain I just forget about it.
Maybe Shimano will bring back XT level 8 speed again and give us riders more choices. At least XT and XTR 8 speed parts surface on ebay once in awhile.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I kinda like the 8 speed that came with my bike. but no shifter that is readly available LBS.
So I replace them with a 9 speed componet. not bad at all just need some fine tuninng.
maybe they are so close to each other. I will keep my 8 speed casset, chain and front and rear broken shifter maybe will go back at 8 speed soon who knows. hope fully I can find some SRAM X4 8speed shifter floating on ebay

·
Registered
508 Posts
yakusarider said:
I kinda like the 8 speed that came with my bike. but no shifter that is readly available LBS.
So I replace them with a 9 speed componet. not bad at all just need some fine tuninng.
maybe they are so close to each other. I will keep my 8 speed casset, chain and front and rear broken shifter maybe will go back at 8 speed soon who knows. hope fully I can find some SRAM X4 8speed shifter floating on ebay
I just picked up X.7 8 Speed shifters from pricepoint.com. Also, the 07 SRAM SX5 come in 8 speed, they're basically 06 X.7's anyway. Pricepoint also has them for 40 bucks.

Anyway, I'll stay with 8 speed for as long as I can still get decent cassettes. I currently run a M950 Ti XTR 12-32 which you still find for a good price floating around the net. --Mark

·
I Love my Rize
830 Posts
8 speed all the way

I run a X9 rear derailleur with the X9 8 speed twisters, a pg 850 11-32 cassette with a pc 68 chain and all I can say is it is the fastest and most reliable shifting there is hands down. 9 speeds SUCKS (too finicky). The 8 speed is set and forget. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
434 Posts
oh now i understand

all i want is different shifters for my 8speed. i have sram x5's and i really hate the shifter.

but i cant find any sram 8speed shifter that has a push and pull system shifter (like some shimano)

what should i do since they dont exist?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Most of SRAM's line is push push shifters, even the 2007 X5's are push push now. The only thing they have now would be the 2007 X4 which is the old X5's. I wasn't overly excited about switching to push push either, but after I used X.7's for a few hours I fell in love with them. Very comfortable.

I'd just grab a set of 06 X.7 8 speed shifters and be done with it. You can get them for a decent price now-a-days. --Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.